News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mic distortion

Started by micromegas, April 09, 2015, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Years and years trying to get the best HI-FI sound on recordings.... and now this! :P

http://www.placidaudio.com/products/copperphone-mini/
http://www.placidaudio.com/products/carbonphone/

I like it though. A cool adittion to a studio and is not that expensive........ for a mic (well, maybe it is).
it could be diy-able maybe?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

lincolnic

The Carbonphone sounds awesomely shitty, but there's a reason people don't use carbon microphones anymore (hint: it's in the first half of this sentence). I'm glad they're selling these mics, but at the same time, I feel like I can get all of those sounds with the right EQ settings (and maybe some extra distortion if need be). They're cool products, but I just don't need a dedicated microphone to get those kinds of tones. I can't say they're not appealing, though! And from a design standpoint, they look fantastic.

raulduke

Yeah I think they look great. I could see the appeal if you are a professional studio etc.

I think the penny is dropping that theoretically perfect digital recordings, don't necessarily translate to sounding 'good'.

I think this may be part of the reason why ribbon microphones are becoming popular again (they have a limited high frequency response)

'Nowt wrong with a bit of dirt' as they say over here!

jtn191

A diy version would be a telephone. Solder an xlr to an old handset.

stecykmi

Quote from: jtn191 on April 30, 2015, 12:46:16 PM
A diy version would be a telephone. Solder an xlr to an old handset.

for extra distortion, use a megaphone in "series" with the handset

rumbletone

When I want midrangy, lofi, distorted vocals (or any other instrument) I just reamp through a guitar amp!

nzCdog

looks like trendy furniture...  'impress your friends and distress your recordings'