News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda 1900H clones OK to use?

Started by Leevibe, April 06, 2015, 03:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

That's a great link Alan, thanks for sharing!  Might have to pick up some of those, they look top notch!  I, like others, am totally turned off the 'fecal matter' level of quality of tayda 1900 series clone knobs. 

Anyone else reading and thinking of using them, just don't.  They belong in the bin.  One of the worst quality products tayda sells imo...which you know...is saying something...
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on April 07, 2015, 12:44:43 AM
http://erthenvar.com/store/accessories/knobs/mini-fluted-knobs

Metal inserts.

The setscrews and threads don't strip unless you're King Kong.

OK, so I was putting in an order with PPP anyway, so I bought them there. They just showed up today and... you're right Alan. Those from erthenvar are definitely better. No inserts in the PPP knobs.

They do still seem like good quality though. I just tightened one down on a pot shaft and it didn't feel like it wanted to strip with reasonable torque. They will certainly be fine for my project. But if I ever do a customer build with these, I'll be visiting erthenvar for sure. Unless Paul carries the good ones.

chromesphere

Thanks Lee, unfortunately I have no idea where they are sourcing those knobs (not the usual traps).  If I could get a bulk quote I might be able to match his price, but yeah...not sure where he's sourcing them.  Doesn't look like Davies as he says "Davies alike".   This would be a great group buy opportunity for you guys as well.

davent

Lee the ones from Small Bear are without the brass core as well but they are of solid core construction, no trouble to tighten.

Tayda's are mostly hollow inside and made from a soft, poorly coloured, comparatively transluscent type of plastic.

Sad... very sad...

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Oh wow. That does look like a waste of $.40.

I'm thinking the PPP are likely same supplier as SB then. I think they are listed as ABS but they look/feel like they are maybe phenolic. The only reason I would hesitate to use them for a customer build is that the customer may for some reason over tighten them. For my personal build they will be fine. Shame they are the same price as the erthenvars though.

chromesphere

I remember I complained about the Taydas 1900h's and they came back with some rubbish line about quality being up to standard...

Oh here it is.  They gave me a refund as they do, but I like how customer service slipped in this little line:

"1900H we sell lots of it everyday and to returning customers, but of course I understand that everybody doesn't have same expectations for the price they paid for an item."

Pretty brazen response.   Sell an item that doesn't even function properly then point the blame at the customers "expectations".   Yeah, I have expectations.  That the grub screw will work...Call me Mr crazy here...

Haven't bought another Tayda knob since..

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on April 21, 2015, 01:29:27 AM
I remember I complained about the Taydas 1900h's and they came back with some rubbish line about quality being up to standard...

Oh here it is.  They gave me a refund as they do, but I like how customer service slipped in this little line:

"1900H we sell lots of it everyday and to returning customers, but of course I understand that everybody doesn't have same expectations for the price they paid for an item."

Pretty brazen response.   Sell an item that doesn't even function properly then point the blame at the customers "expectations".   Yeah, I have expectations.  That the grub screw will work...Call me Mr crazy here...

Haven't bought another Tayda knob since..

Yikes. That is crazy. Honestly, if they had Dave's pic as their product shot, I would have never started this thread. It easily answers the question. It's like somebody in Tayda QC looked at an earlier casting and said, "Nope. Needs to be a little crappier."

raulduke

The Tayda ones are absolute shite.

After reading through this thread I don't think I'm alone with that opinion  ;)

Willybomb

I've got the Tayda Davies clones on my Ammocan, Terminus, and Seapig pedals.  I cant remember how I managed to fix them but there was a fair number of stripped knobs pretty early on..

Scruffie

I only ever used 6 of them... worked and looked fine, guess I got lucky! Was a long time ago so maybe they shifted supplier.
Works at Lectric-FX

claytushaywood

small bear's 1900 for knurled shaft are amazing if you have some knurled's left from the olden tayda days... oh and that just reminded me how the solid shafts from tayda's are different sizes and give me problems with anything but a nice knob.  i bet the erthenvars will do well on em though

miter53

+1 on the Erthenvar. Really nice (thanks Alan!)
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/