News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jon's rant of the day - warm AND bright! At the same time!!! Eleventy!

Started by midwayfair, April 09, 2015, 12:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Quote from: blearyeyes on April 09, 2015, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: Martan on April 09, 2015, 03:11:15 PM
Guy needs one of these to finally have the pedal that really understands him.

The mind-control, I mean. Not the shirt.

Warmer and more tubular with a little more translucence without EQ...of course, [pretend to twiddle knobs] how does this sound?
PERFECT! what did you do?   NOTHING! 

I loved doing that to our lead singer...

I swear I had a video producer ask me to make the music score more tubular once...

Our sound man in a band I used to be in worked for a time at a big church. Whenever somebody wanted him to change the sound, he would turn a knob on the board that didn't do anything. Then ask "That better?" Most of the time they'd say "Yep" and walk away happy as a clam.

alanp

Hate to say it, but... every other week I play soundman at church. I don't change a bloomin' thing, but Dad tells me every time I'm on, "It sounded a lot better, Alan!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Quote from: alanp on April 10, 2015, 09:04:58 AM
Hate to say it, but... every other week I play soundman at church. I don't change a bloomin' thing, but Dad tells me every time I'm on, "It sounded a lot better, Alan!"
It's what Dad's do in'it... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

rullywowr

Quote from: billstein on April 10, 2015, 05:21:34 AM
Quote from: blearyeyes on April 09, 2015, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: Martan on April 09, 2015, 03:11:15 PM
Guy needs one of these to finally have the pedal that really understands him.

The mind-control, I mean. Not the shirt.

Warmer and more tubular with a little more translucence without EQ...of course, [pretend to twiddle knobs] how does this sound?
PERFECT! what did you do?   NOTHING! 

I loved doing that to our lead singer...

I swear I had a video producer ask me to make the music score more tubular once...

Our sound man in a band I used to be in worked for a time at a big church. Whenever somebody wanted him to change the sound, he would turn a knob on the board that didn't do anything. Then ask "That better?" Most of the time they'd say "Yep" and walk away happy as a clam.

I enjoy doing this to pretentious assholes who request things like "can I get half a dB cut at 4k?"  Or "can you bump up 0.5 dB at 12k?"  Then I twist the headphone vol knob on the desk, ask "how about now?"and they are like "perfect!"

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

blearyeyes

Quote from: lincolnic on April 10, 2015, 05:01:07 AM
As an engineer, I get a lot of random "musician language" requests like this. Learning how to translate it into meaningful action is an important job skill!

My related-but-tangential version of this is when they ask you to turn this up, then turn that up, then turn this other thing up, and hey how about this fourth thing? Everything louder than everything else!

That's when the lecture about masking comes in and the demo of hi pass filters on the guitar tracks in the mix. They love the way it tightens up the mix until you solo the guitars. When soloed "oh that's awful!" Un-soled "oh that's much better"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnic

Quote from: blearyeyes on April 18, 2015, 08:16:02 PM

Quote from: lincolnic on April 10, 2015, 05:01:07 AM
As an engineer, I get a lot of random "musician language" requests like this. Learning how to translate it into meaningful action is an important job skill!

My related-but-tangential version of this is when they ask you to turn this up, then turn that up, then turn this other thing up, and hey how about this fourth thing? Everything louder than everything else!

That's when the lecture about masking comes in and the demo of hi pass filters on the guitar tracks in the mix. They love the way it tightens up the mix until you solo the guitars. When soloed "oh that's awful!" Un-soled "oh that's much better"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I recently had to completely remix a record because the band's guitarist insisted on having his guitars all being super big and loud (and thus overpowering the rest of the band). When they let me redo it properly, everyone was much happier.