News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

do madbean guitar pedals work with the bass guitar?

Started by amirfr, April 14, 2015, 05:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amirfr

I am a bass player, and I want to buy some effects for my bass. The problem is that in my country pedals cost a lot, so I came here, because I'm actually petty good with electronics and these king of things. Did anyone try some of the pedals on the bass guitar and can tell me if they work or not? Especially octaver and fuzz pedals. Thanks!

Muadzin

You can use all guitar pedals with a bass guitar. Some might sound not so good, as they are optimized for key guitar frequencies, others shave off a bit off your low frequencies. Some bass players have found this acceptable. Other have not. The key of course is experimentation and see what works for you. Which unfortunately is not a cheap process.

Fortunately fuzz and octaver pedals have always worked well with fuzz. Many a Big Muff and Boss OC-2 has graced the pedal boards of bass players over the years. And if the loss of low frequencies is a problem for you, there are clean blend circuits you could add so you can add some of your clean signal in the mix as well, preserving your low frequencies.

the3secondrule

I've built the following madbean boards and used them for bass with no modifications at all:
Slow loris (rat) - there are lots of mods to make the rat even better for bass - I like to remove the clipping diodes
Mudbunny (big muff - green russian is a good variant for bass) - I've also built the IC muff for bass, which bean also does a board for..
sunking/kingslayer (klon/klon-ish)
deadringer (fulltone fulldrive) - now replaced with the deadringer 2, which I haven't built... yet...
Wolfshirt (actually I did mod this one - swapped c10 in the tone control for a 10nf cap from memory)
probably a few others too

lots of fine folks on this forum sell boards for other PCBs - Jubal81's lamprey (catalinbread SFT) is a good one

I've got PCBs for the RM voodoo bass and DAM ezekiel among others...

also see JMK pcbs: Big Bass Drive / ACDC drive...
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jimilee

Quote from: amirfr on April 14, 2015, 11:23:38 AM
Thanks guys!!
You can always mod it for bass, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

amirfr

Now the thing is I have no idea how to mod it for bass...

Luke51411

Quote from: amirfr on April 14, 2015, 06:13:00 PM
Well, I would start out with something that is meant for bass or that others have had good results with on bass stock if you are new to pedal building. Once you build a couple and kind of learn the basics then pick a circuit you want and the great people on this forum will help point you in a good direction to mod it for bass.

jimilee

Quote from: Luke51411 on April 14, 2015, 06:25:29 PM
Well, I would start out with something that is meant for bass or that others have had good results with on bass stock if you are new to pedal building. Once you build a couple and kind of learn the basics then pick a circuit you want and the great people on this forum will help point you in a good direction to mod it for bass.
Or just socket some junk and see what happens.....I'm here for the bassics......see what I did there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Tip #1: Increase your input and output caps to 1uF in you can fit them on the build.
Tip #2: If your build has a tone control, identify the cap used for the tone filter and double it or so.
Tip #3: Play guitar instead.

Okay, okay, I'm kidding with #3. I'm a certified bass player too. Really, I have a diploma or something. The first two suggestions get you most of the way there a lot of the time.

icecycle66

As always, while I support bass mods and bass focused pedals, don't always go that route.
I've found a lot of nice tones and effects plugging my bass straight into circuits meant for guitar.