News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal PSU Idea.

Started by raulduke, March 31, 2015, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

I saw these available at Rapid and thought perhaps they could make a handy component for building a simple pedal PSU?

Mains AC voltage input (wide range), to a variety of DC outputs (including 9V and 18V), in a range of watts.

The 1W 9V modules are around £3.50 a go. Around 24mm square. I figure you could hook multiple units up to give multiple isolated ground outputs?

At minimum some fuses on the incoming mains, and outputs of each module, would be required.

Still look relatively straightforward to implement though.
http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/vigortronix-ac-dc-power-supplies-with-3w-single-output-533024

Quote:

'The new range of Vigortronix AC/DC converters promise to transform your board space. Packaged in a distinctive orange housing, they are lighter, smaller, offer longer lifetimes and provide greater reliability than traditional transformers.

The wide input range means that the 4-pin modules are compatible with all international voltage ratings. If you are still unsure, why not order a single module from Rapid today, or contact us for more information. We have had plenty of positive customer feedback already.

Good dielectric isolation
    Integrated protection of short circuit and over current protection
    Integrated EMC filter network
    1W, 3W, 5W, 10W
    Input range: 90-264VAC
    Output range: 3.3V - 24VDC
    Average lifetime: 300,000 hours
    Low Standby Power
    Low Ripple & Noise
    Encapsulated Design
    Fully Isolated Pri ~ Sec >4000Vrms
    Materials: UL94-V0
    Safety: EN61558, EN60950, CE
    Weight: from 20g
.'

jubal81

Wow, that is a really neat part. Great find!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

micromegas

Cool! Although the name sounds like a "blue pill" brand  ;D
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GrindCustoms

Hmmm... that's quite interesting! Nice find :)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

raulduke

Yeah the more I look at these the more tempting it looks.

You could quite easily hook up a range of modules to suit a particular application.

You can even buy a 'tester' PCB/module for £9.50:
http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/vigortronix-vtx-214-pcb1-ac-dc-converter-mounting-kit-1w-10w-84-2157

jkokura

One thing I'd be concerned about is amperage draw. The 9V unit says it's rated for 333ma, which I wouldn't want to push too hard. I bet it can actually supply more under stress, but at 333ma, for example, I'd need 3 or 4, or up to about 8 of these, to do the same as some of the common power supplies out there. That fills up a box quickly.

I really do like the concept though. It makes it stupid simple because you don't have to worry about rectification or heat sinks or any of the stuff we normally have to worry about.

If only there was a box that was identical in size and shape to the Pedal Power Plus I could get...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Awesome!

Quote from: jkokura on March 31, 2015, 04:57:27 PM
One thing I'd be concerned about is amperage draw. The 9V unit says it's rated for 333ma, which I wouldn't want to push too hard.

Maybe parallel 2 or 3 of them?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

Quote from: culturejam on March 31, 2015, 04:58:35 PM
Awesome!

Quote from: jkokura on March 31, 2015, 04:57:27 PM
One thing I'd be concerned about is amperage draw. The 9V unit says it's rated for 333ma, which I wouldn't want to push too hard.

Maybe parallel 2 or 3 of them?

That's what I was thinking.

Each module should then have an isolated ground at the output.

There are also higher output power modules (think the highest is 10 W). Though these will be bigger physically of course.

jubal81

I've been thinking about this and it really does seem like all you'd need on a PCB are In/Out pads. Then, you just need an IEC power input jack with a built in fuse and you can make a modular power supply with however many units you care to include.

Not cheap at $8 each, but even if you had 8 outputs, you're looking at about $100 for the whole unit. Not bad. And dead simple. Probably the same cost as using the Weber transformer, but much simpler.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

cooder

Yes very cool! Would be interesting to find out if the ripple is really so low that it isn't introducing noise into chain.
BigNoise Amplification