News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SparkleHorn grounding problem

Started by don72129, March 28, 2015, 12:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don72129

I've having an issue that I've never encountered before and it's got me stumped. 
I've built the SparkleHorn 2014 ver. and I did "rock it before I boxed it". However, when I boxed it up, applied 9Vdc, nothing, no power. I do have sound in bypass though.   I wired the sleeves of the input/output jacks together, still no power. (I used mono metal frame jacks and made positive no parts were touching the board and doubled check wiring on both switches.) 
THIS IS THE CRAZY PART. I then took the input/output jacks out of the box, left everything else in the box,  plugged back in guitar and amp.  Everything works just as it should. With no buzzing or hissing.  Really sounds great.   
When I jump the sleeves of the input/output jacks to the box, I lose power again.
My question is "Why is it grounding out"? when nothing is touching that's not supposed to be and I used metal framed jacks.
Thanks for your help in advance.
don72129

jimilee

Sound like either one of the jacks is wired backwards or you got a bad jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

What kind of DC jack are you using?

don72129

Quote from: madbean on March 28, 2015, 01:19:07 AM
What kind of DC jack are you using?
As soon as you asked this I realized this was my problem.  Thanks Madbean!
I was using a new mini DC jack I bought from Tayda. Just trying to save a little space.   
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-bulkhead-type-panel-mount.html
You guessed it, metal frame dc jack.
I put the Lumbreg type that you suggested on the build plans.  Now the Sparklehorn rocks! Thanks again
Also, thanks to Jimilee to responding also!!

jimilee

Seems like Jon had a story about a similar type situation with a metal frame jack. Nice catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ggarms

I had the same problem with those jacks (and couldn't figure it out for longer than I'd like to admit). If you've got some rubber grommets around you could use them to isolate the jack from the enclosure. Doesn't make for a sturdy jack though!