News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need Speaker recommendation

Started by Matt, January 31, 2015, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

I have a Mesa DC10 2x12 combo. It currently has Black Shadow speakers which just don't do it for me. Can anyone recommend replacements?
Matt

jball85

Weber Legacy speakers. What is it that you don't like about the Black Shadows?

Matt

The black shadows just seem dull and undefined.  Not blown though
Matt

micromegas

these get a lot of compliments, but are very, very expensive:

http://www.austinspeakerworks.com/KTS-70-p-16135.html

I have a Mesa with an electrovoice EVM12 and couldn't be much happier
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Matt

Quote from: micromegas on January 31, 2015, 06:31:09 PM
these get a lot of compliments, but are very, very expensive:

http://www.austinspeakerworks.com/KTS-70-p-16135.html

I have a Mesa with an electrovoice EVM12 and couldn't be much happier
Wow yeah the Austin is a bit too much haha!  I'll have to check out the others. If anyone else has some recommendations please post them
Matt

mjcyates

I think the Eminence line of speakers are very good for the price. I have a Texas Heat and a Screaming Eagle and I think they both sound very good.

lars

I would also second the eminence suggestion, with one caution. That nice-looking crinkle paint finish they used on their older series redcoats and patriots causes issues with glue adhesion on the spiders. I think thats why they dropped that finish on the new models. I had to re-glue the spider on my eminence governor because it just doesn't stick to that rough surface. It sounds great now though, they really do have a nice growl and bite.

mremic01

What about a Mesa OEM V30? I've never played a DC, but I've heard that they were something of a transitional model in Mesa's product range between the Marks and the Rectos. The Rectos do very well with V30s, and the version Mesa gets from Celestionis voiced a bit differently from the regular aftermarket V30s.

mremic01

Quote from: mremic01 on February 01, 2015, 06:40:34 PM
What about a Mesa OEM V30? I've never played a DC, but I've heard that they were something of a transitional model in Mesa's product range between the Marks and the Rectos. The Rectos do very well with V30s, and the version Mesa gets from Celestion is voiced a bit differently from the regular aftermarket V30s.

Matt

Quote from: mremic01 on February 01, 2015, 06:40:49 PM
Quote from: mremic01 on February 01, 2015, 06:40:34 PM
What about a Mesa OEM V30? I've never played a DC, but I've heard that they were something of a transitional model in Mesa's product range between the Marks and the Rectos. The Rectos do very well with V30s, and the version Mesa gets from Celestion is voiced a bit differently from the regular aftermarket V30s.
ive never played a Mark but from what I've read the dc has sort of a Mark clean and a recto distortion. I have a 2x12 sealed with v30s which sounds great. But I've heard that v30s don't do well with an open back. I haven't tried them myself so I really can't say.
Matt

oldhousescott

The Scumback H75/M75 pairing seems to get a lot of love. And they're on sale right now.

I recently purchased some WGS speakers and really like them. For your application, you might consider the Veteran 30, Retro 30, Liberator 80, or ET90.

Matt

Quote from: oldhousescott on February 02, 2015, 12:34:10 AM
The Scumback H75/M75 pairing seems to get a lot of love. And they're on sale right now.

I recently purchased some WGS speakers and really like them. For your application, you might consider the Veteran 30, Retro 30, Liberator 80, or ET90.
Prices ar definitely in the right range. I'll look into these a bit more.
Matt

davent

AES has a pretty broad selection of guitar speakers/brands, an email notice today says they're all 15% off with the coupon code until the end of Feb.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/speakers

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Matt

Quick update, I traded a pedal for a WGS Retro 30. I've had it for a couple weeks now and I really like it with the DC10 combo. Night and day difference from the  black Shadows. I'm only using it at bedroom levels so I can't speak to how it would sound be cranked. At some point I'll probably pick up an ET 65 to go with it as well
Matt