News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chromesphere's "Buzz Factory"

Started by m-Kresol, March 22, 2015, 03:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

First off, big thanks to Paul (chromesphere) for the pcb via a christmas PIF. Sorry this took so long Paul.
Anyways, it's a modded Fuzz Factory workalike, if I'm not mistaken. Sounds awesome, VERY interactive controls and lots of fun to play. Have been playing Knights of Cydonia by Muse for some time now. :)

As I won this PIF by just blabbering after some other member that Paul is into Whiskey, someone (iirc it was John) suggested we should name the build Buzz Factory in regard to that. So I did. I was also looking for a way to incorporate chemical structures for a while now, so I went with an ethanol molecule for this one paired with a Breaking Bad font. Just fyi, ethanol is regular drinking alcohol. I got the structure from a database and adjusted it to my liking.

I had some hick-ups with the enclosure. First etching attempt was fine, but I realized after drilling that the left and right row of pot labels were switched, so I sanded it off and restarted. Second attempt I screwed up the paint (the one I got was not covering the aluminum too good and I couldn't sand it properly). Third attempt didn't look too good either. Next, I did like 6 toner transfers before etching the last time, which turned out rather good. Had some hydrogens disappearing, but they are covered mostly by the pots anyways. Also 'comp" is missing the P and 'drive' the E. I used 'Dupli Color' metallic paint, which looks fantastic and was easy to work with. I'll get a darker one for the next one as the blue is a little too light to get a good contrast.
I crammed it all in a 1590B, but didn't like the classic horizontal arrangement of the Fuzz Factory. It just barely fits, there's no vertical space left AT ALL. Top mounted jacks didn't make it better. Took quite some planing and wiggling around to make it work.
Sorry for the long report, here are some pics:

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Cortexturizer

Fantastic looking thing that just screams Dr Scientist on the exterior! Awesome awesome pedal
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Govmnt_Lacky

bcalla

After all that, it came out great.  From reading the build report, one might guess that you are into whiskey, too.   :D

Stomptown

Nice job!  I love the artwork and the reverse etch came out awesome! 

selfdestroyer

Great job, your etch came out great. I'm digging those knobs also.

Cody

m-Kresol

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 22, 2015, 05:02:16 PM
Heisenburg would approve!  8)

Just for completness' sake: It's actually Heisenberg :)

Quote from: bcalla on March 22, 2015, 05:40:19 PM
After all that, it came out great.  From reading the build report, one might guess that you are into whiskey, too.   :D

I have to admit that I don't really like whiskey. Once a year is okay, but I actually prefer beer

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

chromesphere

Cool build Felix, never would have thought you could fit it vertically in a 1590b!  Looks cool man!

These boards aren't fair off now, i'm recording the sound demo for it at the moment for anyone wondering why they (still) aren't on my webstore...time time time hey? :)
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Coda-effects

That PCB is crazy haha !

I really like the design too, nice scientist feeling! (I am a biologist, I should do a bacteria / protein pedal once !)

luks999

awesome job dude. which fuzz factory version is this? any chance to get you doing a demo?:-)

studiodunn

m-Kresol

Quote from: luks999 on March 24, 2015, 06:56:03 PM
awesome job dude. which fuzz factory version is this? any chance to get you doing a demo?:-)

It's chromesphere's "Berserker Fuzz". I'm not much of a player and don't have proper recording gear. So anything I would create wouldn't do justice to the pedal -->

Quote from: chromesphere on March 24, 2015, 08:22:52 AM
These boards aren't fair off now, i'm recording the sound demo for it at the moment for anyone wondering why they (still) aren't on my webstore...time time time hey? :)

chromesphere

Its a fuzz factory with an input tone control 2.2uf 10uf - 100nf.  Vastly expands the options of the fuzz factory...cause you know...it NEEDS more options :D lol seriously though, once you have a tone control on there you probably wont know how you used one without it
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

wgc

Very cool, love the top mount jacks! Glad you stuck with it
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings