News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Isolating In/Out Jacks

Started by pryde, March 16, 2015, 02:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

So I placed an order with SB and of course I forgot isolated 1/4" jacks that I need (theremin build for a friend) and only have open neutrik jacks  ::)

Any clever home-brew ways to isolate these from an enclosure? May some sort of shoulder washers if I could find them local? All ideas welcome.

I do have a local rat shack still open but I don't think they carry isolated phone jacks, could be wrong though.

drolo

if you can find some, 2 plastic washers and some shrink tube around the jack's threads works well.

davent

Keystone make black fiber shoulder washers for the job.

Not sure how local Mouser might be but for you but may have someone local who stocks Keystone.

Ignore pictures, the outside diameter is the same as the jack washer so they aren't visible install, also need to watch the total thickness of enclosure/washers/nut and the bushing lenght of the jack.

Shoulder http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/3069/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujSuJ5yXrhH6dlepbvMPw64Ddvsg7V8w%252bU%3d

Flats http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/3222/?qs=zfzUrXoPZmiqhiSt05vgkw%3D%3D
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pryde

Quote from: davent on March 16, 2015, 05:31:43 PM
Keystone make black fiber shoulder washers for the job.

Not sure how local Mouser might be but for you but may have someone local who stocks Keystone.

Ignore pictures, the outside diameter is the same as the jack washer so they aren't visible install, also need to watch the total thickness of enclosure/washers/nut and the bushing lenght of the jack.

Shoulder http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/3069/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujSuJ5yXrhH6dlepbvMPw64Ddvsg7V8w%252bU%3d

Flats http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/3222/?qs=zfzUrXoPZmiqhiSt05vgkw%3D%3D
dave

Thanks, that is what I was visualizing in my head. Now to find them local is the challenge...

TNblueshawk

I was using those fiber washers on my 3PDT switches as I hate the white. I had to ream out maybe 1/16" to them to fit.

But I got all mine from Home Depot in those pull out drawers in the hardware section.
John

davent

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 16, 2015, 07:12:37 PM
I was using those fiber washers on my 3PDT switches as I hate the white. I had to ream out maybe 1/16" to them to fit.

But I got all mine from Home Depot in those pull out drawers in the hardware section.

Recently had to ream some out to use as Davies knob skirts, the only way i found success was with a rat tail file, any secrets on easy, efficient ways to trim out that 1/16"?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

TNblueshawk

Quote from: davent on March 16, 2015, 08:42:49 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 16, 2015, 07:12:37 PM

Recently had to ream some out to use as Davies knob skirts, the only way i found success was with a rat tail file, any secrets on easy, efficient ways to trim out that 1/16"?
dave

I actually used my drill on low speed and put a rounded file in as the bit and I went round and round. Then I'd set each one down and let the cramps in my fingers settle down  :o

But each one took about a minute or so I think so not too bad I guess. If I thought about clamping down the washer in some way it would go quicker I guess as I could put more force into it but I haven't given it much thought. I wonder if a pump clamp would keep it clamped good and not moving without breaking it.

I did try using a blade knife and well yeah that didn't work too well.
John

davent

Thanks, will have to give that a try. As far as clamping, to rebore metal washers i've been able to clamp them down over a hole bored in a piece of wood using machine screws around the perimeter of the washer. With the fiber washers found i was deforming the washer as i tightened down the screws so was a no go. Ended up just using the rat tail file and my cramping finger clamps, thankfully the fiber works away easily. 7/16" washer'd be perfect but haven't come across any of those yet.
dave