News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Parallel audio circuit with input kill

Started by Beedoola, March 15, 2015, 07:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I'm planning on getting an Eventide Pitchfactor again - I shouldn't have sold it.

One thing I used to do was have some presets with pitch-shifted delay where I'd hit the dry note and a 5th below to come like a half note later.

What I want is to be able to stop the Pitchfactor from receiving input so when I want to play a note that doesn't have a 5th below, I can do so, and then re-engage the the pitchfactor.

1.) I don't think just quickly bypassing the pedal and then turning it back on will work because, even with the trails/feedback persisting, I don't think the delay timing will be the same as when I bypassed it and thus the whole thing will feel/sound interrupted.

2.) I can't use an EXP to control the Wet/Dry cause I'll just loose the feedback if I briefly roll the Mix down to Dry.

To clarify: what I want to be able to do is briefly stop audio from being processed by the pitchfactor so I can have previous notes that are pitch-shifted persist, while I quickly playing something that is just dry (uneffected) over those previous persisting notes.

The other option I was thinking of was a parallel circuit where my signal can by routed (via a momentary switch) either through the PF and out the PF output OR just around it so I can play uneffected notes while the PF is still on (preset engaged) and has previous notes playing.

The switching needs to be silent, I can't have little clicks or pops every time I hit the switch.

A.) Does what I want make sense?  ;D
B.) Is it possible to do this?

It doesn't seem difficult, but my concern is the silent switching.

Thank you.

playpunk

Get a momentary 3pdt maybe.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Beedoola

That would be part of it.

I'm not sure how I'd wire it to redirect the Input and Outputs.

The thing is that the outputs of the Pitchfactor and the Dry guitar would always have to be letting audio pass, its just the input that would be momentarily switched. And just switching with a mechanical switch I assume might cause pops or clicks.

rumbletone

Can you run the PF killdry? If so, split your signal and send one to a parallel path with a volume pedal (or a simple switch, though the volume pedal may work better if you want to avoid pops), then sum the PF back to your dry signal. This is what I sometimes use for delays for exactly the reason you state - I want to mute the input to the effect, but still have the tails going.

Another option is to just use an a/b, without the PF on killdry, and switch between PF and dry signal, but sum them both after so you get the tails.

I've asked at least one manufacturer (strymon) to  consider adding a 'mute input' CC to their algorithm. Seems like a no brainer, but perhaps there aren't many of us using it like that.

rumbletone

PS - routing challenges like this are exactly why I use a Sound Sculpture Switchblade on my big board - all I/O are separately controlled and it takes seconds to create a preset with new routing.