News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A major triumph and a major goof (Fat Pants)

Started by Rich_S, June 06, 2011, 04:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

First, my major triumph:  I spent a couple hours and actually got my workbench cleaned off tonight, so I can build a couple pedals.  I've had parts for a Slow Lorus and a Fat Pants sitting around for over a year, waiting for time and space to put 'em together.  Woohoo!  The Slow Lorus is already assembled - I just need to solder the board and wire it into the enclosure.

Second, my goof.  I was so fired up tonight after getting the bench cleaned off that I decided to keep working and fab an enclosure for the Fat Pants. So I drilled a box I had lying around, primed it, and painted it bright metallic silver.  Then I came here, to find out about C3 mods.  Looking at the schematic, I realized it's designed to have TWO pots... "Volume" and "Fat". 

:o Doh!  I drilled my enclosure for one pot plus a mini-toggle for the presence (or C3) mod switch.  I just thought, "Eh, preamp.  Needs a volume control." and never dreamed it would have more than that.

Did I say "Doh!"?

So, my question for all you Fat Pants players out there: how important is the "Fat" control?  Is it something you adjust a lot, or do you find "your" sound and then leave it?  (Obviously, I'm thinking about using a trimmer for the "Fat" pot.) 

And anyway, what's the "Fat" control do?  Is it a bass control?  Mids?
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson

bigmufffuzzwizz

Still have to finish mine, but you could always add the pot on the side of the enclosure out of the way.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Rich_S

::)  Double DOH!

I just looked at my Fat Pants board - it's a V1, and does indeed only have a volume pot.  So my enclosure layout is okay.

However, I have a spare hole for a mini-toggle.  What are the recommended options for cap-switching using a 2- or 3-position switch?

k.rock!

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

Rich_S

Yeah, I saw that same 3-way mod in a response to someone else's inquiry.  I ordered a 3-way mini toggle this morning along with a few different caps to try.

Are Brian's original recommendations of 47n or 68n just "too much"?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Rich_S on June 06, 2011, 01:35:46 PM
Are Brian's original recommendations of 47n or 68n just "too much"?

It really depends on what sound you want out of it. If you want something bassy then you should use brian's suggestions. Fastocker said it was pretty trebly in the 10nf-22nf range that he used. Socket C3 and experiment! Do you need a diagram for how to properly wire the switch?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Rich_S

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on June 06, 2011, 03:34:20 PM
Do you need a diagram for how to properly wire the switch?

Nah, I got that covered.  Just looking for some advice n starting points for the cap values.

gtg975n

I found that there was little difference between 47n/68n and 22n to my ears with the fat knob maxed.  Ended up using a 3-way toggle for 100n and 22n.  100n sounds very similar to no cap at all, but puts more bass in than 22n.  I like the 100n for Fender amps (blue jr/hotrod deluxe).  I've been leaving mine on all the time in the effects loop w/ the fat knob at max and boosting the volume just above unity gain.  Sounds sweet!   

Rich_S

With any luck, my Small Bear order with the last couple caps wiil show up today, and I'll finish my Slow Lorus tonight.  As soon as that's done, it's time to wire up my Fat Pants.

Question:  I noticed the volume pot changed between Fat Pants v1 and v2.  I had aa 100K I could have put in there, but ordered a 50K just for this pedal.  Then, I noticed v2 changed to a 100K.

Has any body tried both values, and can you give me the pluses and minuses of each, tonally of otherwise?