News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Budget Oscilloscope... do they exist?

Started by march500, March 08, 2015, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

march500

Are there options for getting a reliable scope for a reasonable price? Do the USB scopes you see on eBay work?

dont-tase-me-bro

I thought this would save me money.

march500

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on March 08, 2015, 03:38:57 PM
Rigol are priced low
Still a little out of my price range for the amount of use it would get. Anyone have any experience with the USB variety? I've read a few reviews and they don't seem to be the greatest.

komigenie

pickdropper

The Owon scopes are decent as are the Rigol.  As far as a new scopes go, you can find a usable one for between $300-400.  As with all of the Chinese scopes the user interfaces leave a bit to be desired, but they usually have a lot of features.  It may seem like a bunch of money for a hobby purchase but keep in mind that they are still significantly cheaper than the pro grade scopes like the Tek and Agilent scopes.  A friend of mine has a nice Tek scope and it cost him about $7k.

I wouldn't go too low on the scale for new scopes.  I've used a few of them and couldn't deal with them.  A much better solution is to try and find an old, used Tek that's in good condition.  You can find them for under $200 if you look carefully.  Ideally, find one that's been calibrated somewhat recently.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

dont-tase-me-bro

Siglent is another one that is priced pretty low.
I thought this would save me money.

march500

Thanks for the input... Looks like I'll have to keep my eyes out for a used one.

oldhousescott

We've got one of the Owons at work, and it does have a nice display and plenty of features, but after a year the encoders are already getting a bit squirrely. Maybe for light shop use it would hold up better.

pickdropper

Quote from: oldhousescott on March 08, 2015, 08:42:45 PM
We've got one of the Owons at work, and it does have a nice display and plenty of features, but after a year the encoders are already getting a bit squirrely. Maybe for light shop use it would hold up better.

Yeah, they are definitely not built to last. 

I like the Agilent scopes I've used.  I'd buy a previously used one, but even at that most of the nice recent ones are pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

Keep your eye out on local craigslist too... I picked up a free Tek scope few years ago on CL.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pryde

Check your local community colleges or universities as well. Electronics department normally have tons of good old analog scopes sitting around never being used. Not to mention signal generators, variacs, etc.

alanp

Quote from: komigenie on March 08, 2015, 04:30:49 PM
Rigol DS1052E 50MHz is great ...

http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/

I have one of those! I haven't upgraded it though.

The framerate can be pretty sucky, in the seconds range, sometimes. I suspect I need to go menu-diving, but don't want to devote the brain-time to comprehending it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

march500

Quote from: pryde on March 09, 2015, 02:54:28 AM
Check your local community colleges or universities as well. Electronics department normally have tons of good old analog scopes sitting around never being used. Not to mention signal generators, variacs, etc.
That's a great idea. There's quite a few in my area.

john_p_wi

The new Rigol 1054Z is supposed to have fairly high review ratings. 

I have collected used analog scopes the past 20 years and I will say that used equipment can be frustrating - especially with sucky probes.  IF you find a decent used analog scope be prepared to spend at least as much or more on GOOD probes than the cost of the used scope.

raulduke

If you have an old laptop lying around, a PicoScope may also be worth looking at.