News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

warhead vibe

Started by cjkbug, June 07, 2011, 04:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

I got this pretty much finished a couple weeks ago. Still gotta add some graphics when I finish the artwork. I used a 2" tall bb enclosure and once the pots and switches were installed, I fit a piece of 1" foam from a shock mount rack case on the floor of the encloser to space the pcb above the controls Then I fitted a 1/4" thick piece of foam inside the cover so when it's all closed up the pcb is completely held firm and cushioned. I got a super great deal on a few dozen aluminum hi-fi knobs from the 70's so I used them here. They are very heavy and solid. the huge one up front is of coarse the speed control.

This vibe is tricky to dial in but once it's set up it sounds really sweet. I change the intensity pot to a b100k for a deeper throb. This vibe sounds great with the intensity dialed back a bit as well. It's great for "Breathe" and similar gilmour flangey sounds.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

k.rock!

HOLY MOTHER OF KNOBS!!!  :o

Looks awesome dude! Great job!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

JakeFuzz

Wow. Fantastic job, nice and clean look is just great. That huge knob is awesome too! Do you think without the intensity pot mod that the effect is too subtle?

Man I didn't even think about where the jacks are going to go. I ordered the short enclosure, now I'm thinking I should have done the deep one. Really digging that knob, I am going to see if I can add a few to my SB order!

edit: actually SB doesn't have those knobs, darn.

cjkbug

you definitely need a deep enclosure. I thought I was gonna be able to cram it all into a 125b. never in a million years.

JakeFuzz

uh oh really? I am using a 1590BB which is larger than a 125B. I could ask them to switch it to a 125BB or a 1590C. Ill try and lay it out right now and see if I can somehow manage it.

cjkbug

I really think you'll need the see. once you clear the switch and pots. you'll have almost no verticle space left. you might be able to fit the jacks under the pcb somewhere. but It'll be very tight. I had a 125bb and 1590c next to each other when I started planning and just couldn't see any way to fit it in elegantly. the lamp cover takes up quite a bit of verticle space as well. the lamp cover on mine presses against the bottom plate of the enclosure.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: cjkbug on June 07, 2011, 06:17:28 AM
I really think you'll need the see. once you clear the switch and pots. you'll have almost no verticle space left. you might be able to fit the jacks under the pcb somewhere. but It'll be very tight. I had a 125bb and 1590c next to each other when I started planning and just couldn't see any way to fit it in elegantly. the lamp cover takes up quite a bit of verticle space as well. the lamp cover on mine presses against the bottom plate of the enclosure.

Yeah its super tight with the 1590BB. I could probably manage to fit it but I would need to compromise where I would ideally like to put everything. I asked to switch to a 125BB. I am using board mounted pots so the pcb is right on the deck but the plug pretty much would slide over the surface of the pcb which is not ideal!

gtr2

Great build!  I've been using those audio grade electros as well, but only in audio sections.  They're actually a good deal on mouser, mammoth is a little more $ but I rarely buy from them anyways.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

:o Ohh you got the right vibe!! Love it man!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

Quote from: JakeFuzz on June 07, 2011, 07:14:07 AM
Quote from: cjkbug on June 07, 2011, 06:17:28 AM

Yeah its super tight with the 1590BB. I could probably manage to fit it but I would need to compromise where I would ideally like to put everything. I asked to switch to a 125BB. I am using board mounted pots so the pcb is right on the deck but the plug pretty much would slide over the surface of the pcb which is not ideal!
This is the second pcb I built. I used board mounted pots on the 1st one. and they lifted a couple of the thin traces off the board as I tried to muscle it into the enclosure. So be careful or reinforce the pot traces before installation. That was a bummer after all that work. I could have fixed it but I didn't want it crapping out later.

cjkbug

Quote from: gtr2 on June 07, 2011, 03:07:56 PM
Great build!  I've been using those audio grade electros as well, but only in audio sections.  They're actually a good deal on mouser, mammoth is a little more $ but I rarely buy from them anyways.

Josh
usually I don't care what caps I use but these ones make a big differance. I use them on everything now. I find the low end is clearer and the response is more even across the board. I'm gonna retrofit them into a few older builds. they aren't that expensive. I got a few dozen of all the major values in a couple power ratings for around $80 I'm set for the next 6 months or so. I wish I could get them in axial leaded though for turretboard builds.

jimmybjj

I really like all of your builds. Good job.  ;)
Pcbs no longer available

redbean

LOL! Love the huge knob!  :D
es là-bas!!