News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eggnator tweaker fizzle

Started by jimilee, February 19, 2015, 08:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I have a tweaker head that after it heats up, sort of fizzles out. I then flip it to standby and back and it works again for a little while, is this a 12ax... Tube issue or a power tube issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryde

Quote from: jimilee on February 19, 2015, 08:18:50 PM
I have a tweaker head that after it heats up, sort of fizzles out. I then flip it to standby and back and it works again for a little while, is this a 12ax... Tube issue or a power tube issue?

The answer is yep  :)
Could be either. Need to start isolating. If you have a known good preamp tube, start swapping it in one at a time and see if issue goes away. Do the same with a good power tube, one at a time as well.

Man I kid you not I have had so many egnaters in for repair it is crazy. Everything from failing filter caps, burned up dropping resistors, bad pots, etc. 

EDIT: Didn't mean to come off as condemning your amp jimilee. Just weird coincidence I have repaired a lot of egnaters lately. Anyway tubes are always the best bet to try first.   

jimilee

Hey thanks Pryde? No offense taken. I've been doing some reading, seems they go through phases with issues.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

I had similar problems with a JCM900 head back in the 90s. It was always having odd tube problems. I won't  buy another one of those. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you, but thought I would  share.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

GermanCdn

Early Tweakers had some PCB issues IIRC, which might explain the repair frequency.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pryde

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 24, 2015, 10:14:45 PM
Early Tweakers had some PCB issues IIRC, which might explain the repair frequency.

See a lot of Tweakers and Rebel 20/30s. Both have an under powered dropping resistor in the power supply that burns up often. Have had a lot of premature filter cap failure in both models as well. Bad batch of caps I suppose.