News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

hunny bunny build

Started by cjkbug, June 13, 2011, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

Here is a build of soulsonic's hunny bunny project. This was designed as a challenge from bjorn of bjfe to build something that sounded like the honey bee just from listening to it. I etched the board from a layout I got from fsb. It has a metal can lm301 op amp, mil-spec resistors throughout, panasonic and tompay film caps, and nichicon audio gold electros. Wired with teflon jacketed silver stranded wire.

This has to be the most touch sensitive pedal I've ever heard. It sounds similar to the honey bee with more gain and output available and it has a very interesting tone control. It doesn't roll off the highs as much as it shapes the whole eq. When I tested it I played for 2 hours. This pedal is a lot of fun

The enclosure is etched (or...over etched in fact) and sprayed with of all things,an old can of vintage amber neck tint from guitar reranch, and clear lacquer.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

thatirishsob

Awesome job man that thing is sweet! I'd love to hear a demo of it if you ever get a chance.

Haberdasher

That is one of my favorites that I've seen from you.  I think the finish came out great.  You always have cool knobs on your effects, and plenty of mojo parts.

cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of your builds. I'd too like to hear a demo if possible. Especially if it sucked you like that.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

I'm gonna try to get some clips together with my video camera. I've never done any video editing on my computer so any advice would be appreciated.
Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on June 13, 2011, 03:30:59 PM
I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of your builds. I'd too like to hear a demo if possible. Especially if it sucked you like that.  :)

irmcdermott

i've always wanted to build his Hunny Bunny. Would love to hear some samples!

cjkbug

I'm gonna see what I can come up with 'cuz the clip does not show what this pedal is capable of. you need hear some single note stuff and hybrid picked lines. that's where it really shines. it is a very dynamic circuit that responds to the nuances of your pick attack. but you can hear every string individually in that clip.

ibodog

There's always Soul Sonic's own demo, too.  http://www.soulsonicfx.com/?page_id=88

Though I think he's probably evolved the circuit a little bit since he first posted the schematic on FSB.

cjkbug

yeah that ones new it has a high cut control, which is a really good idea. the circuit has a lot of presence. I have another board etched I may add that to it.

jtn191

I like your design and that you shared info on soulsonic stuff, but could it be the "folk driver" that the backstory refers to?

QuoteThe Folk Driver is the result of a challenge issued to me by Björn Juhl to design an original DIY overdrive project that has much of the character of his popular Honey Bee Overdrive. After some time listening to an original Honey Bee, I came up with the Folk Driver.

night-B

Looking at the schem on fsb, it's really a well designed circuit, with cheap components, I think I'll give it a try too! I've never etched before, I'll use a vero layout...

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: night-B on June 14, 2011, 06:25:53 AM
Looking at the schem on fsb, it's really a well designed circuit, with cheap components, I think I'll give it a try too! I've never etched before, I'll use a vero layout...

Yea just grabbed that vero layout that ibodog did too. Agreed, this seems like a cheap parts list for a great sounding overdrive. Sounds like something I'm gonna like  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

Quote from: jtn191 on June 14, 2011, 06:09:34 AM
I like your design and that you shared info on soulsonic stuff, but could it be the "folk driver" that the backstory refers to?

QuoteThe Folk Driver is the result of a challenge issued to me by Björn Juhl to design an original DIY overdrive project that has much of the character of his popular Honey Bee Overdrive. After some time listening to an original Honey Bee, I came up with the Folk Driver.

I think you are right, I must have gotten the two confused.