News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sparklehorn Delay Tone Circuit

Started by claytushaywood, January 25, 2015, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I posted this in mods originally, but I guess that's a section if you have actual mods for a circuit.  I'm needing some suggestions or experience

I've found that I really only have like 3 filtering sounds on the delay sections "tone" control in the sparklehorn.  All the way clockwise, a millimeter left from full CW, and anywhere else is all unfiltered.  I'd like to get more filtering and greater control over the filtering.  Would messing with the 68n cap work decently enough (any suggested values as the action of the pot is all in the last 95% of the rotation) or am I gonna have to get a reverse log pot and a smaller value?

claytushaywood

midwayfair

More resistance there means less treble. The size of the cap also matters. You can use a 50K or even 100K instead if you want it darker; if you also want it brighter (sounds like you don't), use the larger pot and reduce the size of the capacitor some (47nF, for instance). The De Produndis uses a 100nF there, if you want something really dark.

madbean

I think lowering C16 to 47n, 33n or 22n will probably do the trick. Socket that cap and experiment. I would try that before going to a C taper pot, but if you want even more control a 50kC there combined with a different value pot on C16 will even it out more.

claytushaywood

I tried a smaller capacitor at c16 and it didnt do much... so I tried a larger capacitor and it got me closer to where I wanted to be.  I used 100nf and now I have a pretty good range on the tone control.  I did want it darker by the way.

now, though, I've noticed I can hear delayed signal when the delay circuit is switched off.  also the mix control affects the sound of the overdrive when the delay portion is not switched in.