News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What do you guys buy?

Started by thetrend77, May 29, 2011, 11:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrend77

After noticing all the new things on Tayda, I've been thinking about doing a restock on parts. I just wanted to know what you guys usually buy when you're restocking on caps/resistors/etc. I've never really ordered bulk except for one time, and all I did then was look at the BOM for 3 diff projects I wanted to do and ordered about 15-20 of each cap/resistor I needed lol

Anyway, just some suggestions would be nice :)

cjkbug

several values of everything. especially those cheap ass pots. I use their caps and resistors for breadboarding and experiments/ mods. and I also built up a stock of audio grade caps and mil spec resistors for final builds that have all the bugs worked out. you have to check the tayda components cause I've gotten more than a few duds. that can make for some aggravating debug sessions.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

which components did they sent you duds of? I've haven't gotten any yet but thats not good to hear. I'd say to stock up on the new DC power jacks they got. Super cheap.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jimmybjj

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 30, 2011, 02:53:05 AM
which components did they sent you duds of? I've haven't gotten any yet but thats not good to hear. I'd say to stock up on the new DC power jacks they got. Super cheap.

+1

I'm curious what dud's you have received.
Pcbs no longer available

cjkbug

I've had a few dc jacks with intermitant conections. a few bum 1n4001's. and a couple dead pots. and I've had a few electros with leads that pop out with very little pressure. don't get me wrong I am happy with what I'm getting. but you can't expect top quality at the price point these guys offer. I build a lot so some bad parts are to be expected. if anything It's made me more methodical about measuring and testing to avoid problems. although I've noticed a higher rate of projects that need debugging since I started ordering from them.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I haven't experienced any of those problems, but I don't use only their products. I just ordered a lot more from them and if anything like this happens I will report it..  :-\
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Myramyd

Good to know--I just ordered 50 1n4001's from them. I guess for $.50 it's still hard to complain. I suppose I will have to learn how to test them with my DMM before they go in.

I ordered some ICs from them too but, only some they claim are brand names I recognize so, hopefully there aren't dead ones.

I'm leery of buying anything "mission critical" from them like caps especially, since those can be so hard to troubleshoot. I like saving money but I don't want to be desoldering (or socketing!) entire boards trying to ferret out a bad cap.

J

Haberdasher

I use their electro and mylar caps on values I see in the schematic that look like they go to ground, so maybe a couple in each pedal.  No problems yet, nor have I had issue with any ICs from them.

I guess I'll start checking their 1n4001's before I use them.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS