News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rodent Apocalypse - First Build Report

Started by JoeDorcia, January 10, 2015, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeDorcia

First build report but not my first build! I have done a few more before this but as i have built/finished in batches this is the first one finished, boxed and ready to rock as it were...

Anyway, its multistomp made for a friend who liked an Xotic BB clone I made. He basically wanted a wee bopx to first off emulate the preamp from his Space Echo, then into the BB clone and finally a Rat. Hence the image of a Rat shooting a BB gun.

The preamp is the Nocturne Brain Setzer on vero courtesy of Tagboard - this is my first experience of working on vero and was a nice easy one to start off. Easy enough to do and has a really decent amount of volume on tap. The Tone control did nothing with my setup (strat into Laney IRT Studio) but it may working with my friends Gretsch. The Echo Pre is switchable via the Toggle on the top of the enclosure next to the DC in. the vero is held in by some thick foam double sided tape. I left some extra space on the end of the vero to link grounds and power to the other boards and the DC in.

Next up is the BB clone from Fuzz Dog/Pedal Parts UK. I have bought quite a few of his boards and they are really good quality as well as having a big BIG list on tap so worth trying a few. He's also doing a lot more with board mounted pots/switches which is nice. Anway, BB on the first footswitch, built stock with a blue LED and mounted on two of the pots. I couldn't mount on all four pots due to the pot spacing.

Finally there is Fuzz Dog's Rodent PCB with toggle for standard clipping diodes or 3mm Red LEDS (Turbo Rat). I love the LED clipping, WAY better than stock and much more dynamic. He's also just updated the board with the Ruetz mods and mounted pots, but this wouldn't have fit in the 1590BB. I also had to bend caps to fit this in, didnt plan for their height, which look as a bit uncouth but needs must.

Artwork was done by the chap the peal is for, printed on clear adhesive paper and then Envirotexed - big props to Juan and Cleggy for their tutorial, absolutely wonderful stuff! ALso my first experience of Tex'ing which I loved. Very theraputic. The finished are not 100% perfect (bloody dog and his hairs floating around) and even though i kept them covered their are a couple of flaws but nothing enough for me to remove and redo.

Boxing up was a challenge as I really pushed myself to put all this in a 1590BB, and you may wonder why the toggle isn't further over above the last pot (it would make more sense) and this was simple because i altered the inner layout slightly after drilling. Thankfully I had planned i (fairly) thoroughly but you can never count on the boards fitting EXACTLY as planned. I then had some wires break which I replaced with far better quality stuff.

All in all, it was a pain but work it. I think it looks neat enough, though i did tuck DC and the red LED Rat wire under the middle PCB after the pic. Anyway, thats enough blabbler, here's the pics.

Making noise since 2001... If only I knew what I was doing

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

LaceSensor

Good work Joe , get more reports up

PS for everyone else, me and Joe know each other in real life ;)
I hooked him up with his first parts and enclosures ;)

Ian

selfdestroyer

Very cool build. Executed perfectly and you should have one happy friend.

Cody

brejna

playpunk

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

bcalla

Quote from: JoeDorcia on January 10, 2015, 11:23:48 AM
The finished are not 100% perfect (bloody dog and his hairs floating around) and even though i kept them covered their are a couple of flaws but nothing enough for me to remove and redo.
Looks great.  I have a dog and the same problem with ET - all of my finishes have a few imperfections like that.  In your case you can tell your friend that it is authentic rat hair.   8)

TGP39

Wow Joe. This is super ambitious. It turned out fantastic!
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

PhiloB

Looks great and sounds like a good combo of fx.  A lot going on in the inside, you did well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogharry

Well done, it's pretty tidy considering the amount you've stuffed in there!  ;D
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

JoeDorcia

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 10, 2015, 12:21:37 PM

Will do! I've got plenty more on the cards...

Quote from: brejna on January 10, 2015, 02:06:57 PM
Nice build! What's next? ;)
I've finished a batch and just need to box them up including my own BB OD, 1776's Six Shooter EQ, LaceSensor's Larry David (he gave me a prototype pcb so i just boxed it up), Fender Blender, Ross Comp, Prunes n Custard, Euphoria Drive, EP3 Boost and a trube bypass looper.

Then I have PCBs to build a Triple Wreck, Tap Tempo Tremolo, Hamlet+, Doppleganger and attemptting a fully tamp tempo Multiplex delay.
Making noise since 2001... If only I knew what I was doing

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

brejna

Quote from: JoeDorcia on January 11, 2015, 07:38:04 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 10, 2015, 12:21:37 PM

Will do! I've got plenty more on the cards...

Quote from: brejna on January 10, 2015, 02:06:57 PM
Nice build! What's next? ;)
I've finished a batch and just need to box them up including my own BB OD, 1776's Six Shooter EQ, LaceSensor's Larry David (he gave me a prototype pcb so i just boxed it up), Fender Blender, Ross Comp, Prunes n Custard, Euphoria Drive, EP3 Boost and a trube bypass looper.

Then I have PCBs to build a Triple Wreck, Tap Tempo Tremolo, Hamlet+, Doppleganger and attemptting a fully tamp tempo Multiplex delay.
Wooow! You are on fire! I hope you know there is no return :D

nzCdog

Cool build, nice work & really cool enclosure layout