News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Setting up my pedal board

Started by billstein, January 09, 2015, 12:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

It really depends on your role. My main role is typically the bread and butter rhythm stuff so I don't need a lot of the ambient effects. I use afterlife compressor, 3 levels of drive (Rej's Catch 22, Barber Direct Drive, Barber LTD), Ernie Ball Volume pedal, Visual Sound Tap delay, TC Polytune mini, and typically one other pedal that is usually a tremolo of some sort.

Jopn

Quote from: mjcyates on January 10, 2015, 02:51:19 PM
It really depends on your role. My main role is typically the bread and butter rhythm stuff so I don't need a lot of the ambient effects.

This.

If you're job is to hold down the chord structure and support the rhythm, going for all kinds of ambient swells is going to be counter productive.

Figure out what your main "job" in your team's mix is, then suggesting tools to do that job becomes a lot more accurate and easy. What other instruments are there, and what types of parts are they playing?

Style is also a huge question.  P&W music has a massive spectrum, from country Gaither style hymns to modern Jesus Culture style ambience. 

My advice, show up with your bare minimum for the first few Sundays.  For me, my amp has a 2 channel switch and boost, so I'd bring that and a clip on tuner.  Maybe a compressor too, just to even out my volume between picking and strumming.  As you play with the rest of the team, figure out what you want/SHOULD do to compliment and support the music.  If you get an idea that requires another pedal, then start creating a pedalboard.  Make a music driven pedalboard rather than trying to make pedal driven music.

Hope that helps.