News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Volume-Expression-Pedal-Hybrid

Started by fixxe, October 11, 2013, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxe

Ah, okay.
Now, could I build my own trs cable with 1 stereo plug,  2 mono plugs and 2 normal instrument cables?

fixxe

So I got around to building this. Forget to ground it first, and also wanted to have the TRS jacks on the same size, but the rotary knob would only fit in that one hole. But it works so far, even though there's some slight distortion at times...I'll look into that later, could be my shitty cables too.

So thanks for the help, everybody :)

One of these days I'll do a neat wiring job...

kothoma

Nice work.

Glad to hear it actually works... :)

fixxe

yeah, your instructions were really great! Now if I wanted to reverse the heel and toe position what would I need to do?

kothoma

Quote from: fixxe on March 16, 2014, 07:45:50 PM
if I wanted to reverse the heel and toe position what would I need to do?

You would swap the wires at lug 1 and 3 of the pot. But this will also change the taper of the pot from audio to reverse audio. So maybe you need a different pot to be happy with the result.

Or you somehow change the mechanics of the pedal and turn the pot 180°...

fixxe

So a reverse log poti would do the trick?

I think I read you are from germany. May I ask which city?

kothoma

Quote from: fixxe on March 19, 2014, 05:14:01 AM
So a reverse log poti would do the trick?
Yeah, a reverse log pot and swapping the outer lugs.

I think I read you are from germany. May I ask which city?
Sure, I live in Munich.

fixxe

Thanks. Do you by any chance hate the klon's tone?

kothoma

Sorry, had no chance for a test drive yet.
I bet I have an unpopulated board somewhere (most possibly on that pile with 30+ others...)
So many projects, so little time!

fixxe

No worries, I was just checking if I've met you before, haha.

fixxe

I just realized I could've used a stereo jack for the expression output, instead of 2 mono jacks.
Correct?

RobA

Quote from: fixxe on November 29, 2014, 03:43:03 PM
I just realized I could've used a stereo jack for the expression output, instead of 2 mono jacks.
Correct?
Expression controllers usually use a stereo jack. But, there are two (at least) common standards in use. The Moog version seems to be the most common with the voltage in to the pedal on the ring and the voltage out on the tip. Or the other way to look at it is toe on the ring, heal on the sleeve, and wiper to the tip.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

brand0nized

Quote from: kothoma on October 13, 2013, 03:15:01 PM
1) Are you sure you can use the same pot for expression and volume?
Expresson pedals typically have a linear taper pot, volume pedals have audio taper pot.
Many expression pedals use 10k, many volume pedals use >200k.

You could get two dual gang pots, open then up, and combine the two resistive parts.

There's a project somewhere either here or another pedal forum that show you how to do that.

fixxe

I built it and it works :)
I came back to this because I changed my Volume pedal to a new one that had the jacks on the front and since there was only room for three, it dawned on me. It's a Bespeco VM12, apparently it has a 100k pot in it.