News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Mods

Started by tenwatt, January 28, 2016, 07:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

Does anyone have any links to good instructions for adding a buffer to volume pedals?
Not too bright....

jimilee

Quote from: tenwatt on January 28, 2016, 07:18:01 PM
Does anyone have any links to good instructions for adding a buffer to volume pedals?
Silly question, did you make sure yours isn't buffered already? Otherwise you can build a buffer and put it in there, or make it external so you can use it wherever.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

tenwatt

Not too bright....

m-Kresol

if you want to build a buffer yourself (either standalone or integrate it in the volume pedal), there's one from 1776 or you can build mine, which is shared on oshpark. there surely are a few vero projects too
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Muadzin

Quote from: tenwatt on January 28, 2016, 07:18:01 PM

Are you thinking of that JHS volume pedal?  ;)

My advice is to use a vero layout for a buffer, that way you could easily change it if you want to experiment with putting it before or after the volume pot. In my experience redoing the wiring on a vero board is a million times easier then it is with pcb's. And tagboard alone has some 15 buffer layouts.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.nl/search/label/Buffer

mrclean77

I've never stuck one in a vol pedal, but I like the simple buffer Paul (InSonicBloom) has on his site. I certainly don't have magic ears, but I haven't noticed an unacceptable tone suck from my EB VP Jr....but now I'm toying w the idea of throwing a switchable buffer in there. I am a fan of 'just-because-I-can' type mods.

If I had a stack of vero, his site and tagboard could equal one very pale Mr. Clean.  8) :-[

http://www.paulinthelab.com/2012/05/fet-line-buffer-veroboard.html

alanp

My advice would be to make a buffer in a 1590A (good first 1590A build, I think), and leave the volume pedal un-modded. Passive volume pedals are really useful as expression pedals :) especially high-impedance ones.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

Quote from: alanp on January 29, 2016, 04:25:47 PM
My advice would be to make a buffer in a 1590A (good first 1590A build, I think), and leave the volume pedal un-modded. Passive volume pedals are really useful as expression pedals :) especially high-impedance ones.

I agree with Alan. It might cost a few extra dollars to put a buffer in a 1590a but it would ultimately give you more versatility than putting it in the volume pedal. If for no other reason than the ability to put it in different spots in you effects chain.

HamSandwich

This, but only because of the volume pedal itself. If it's the one with the string that moves the pot, I suggest not taking it apart, as it is a BEAR to get back together. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

tenwatt

Quote from: HamSandwich on January 29, 2016, 05:36:21 PM

This, but only because of the volume pedal itself. If it's the one with the string that moves the pot, I suggest not taking it apart, as it is a BEAR to get back together. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
The string is broken and the pot is scratchy so I'm going to do a complete over haul.
Not too bright....

midwayfair

The volume pedal will also not be as effectively shielded as a 1590A/1590LB. The separate enclosure if worth the extra $5 and extra cable.