Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Don't Eat Yellow Snow (SMD)

Started by stevie1556, November 18, 2014, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

Quote from: pickdropper on November 19, 2014, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: culturejam on November 19, 2014, 06:12:41 PM

I think they are parallel just on their sides instead of stacked.

Yep, side by side rather then stacked, I find they are a lot easier to solder in that way.

Quote from: culturejam on November 19, 2014, 09:08:34 PM
My bad, it looks like they are end-to-end to my squinty eyes.

Yep, I think I either need an eye test or magnifying glass for them soon!

Quote from: cooder on November 19, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
That's the blimmin' problem with smd... they are so feckin' small... ;D ;)

They are indeed, but it's the way of the future! I do find SMD far more enjoyable then through hole stuff (and quicker!), and just built another one of these boards up using the normal soldering method. I've had to order a new roll of 0.3mm solder, in a 150g roll, that will never run out lol

I was doing really well, building up a few Cornish Buffer boards in SMD earlier, until Mr Stupid here realised he is missing half the parts. Going to have to go through a load of BOMs tomorrow and put a big parts order in.

stevie1556

Tested out my drilling template today on 5 boxes, and it works perfectly  (one hole was less then 0.5mm out, and that was the worse one!). My new powder coat has just turned up today, which is a sparkle clear coat, and on top of the yellow base coat, looks awesome (the pictures don't do it justice. I'm going to design the label tonight and etch the boxes tomorrow after work and a mini kinda job interview, and hopefully I'll be able to get the first couple wired in by the evening (the boards are built up and the pots are attached).

New drilling template (works so well I don't need to get a CNC mill now)

Boxes cooling down from being in the oven (I couldn't picture them right, I'll try again in the sunlight tomorrow)