News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tone is in the hands..... or is it in the picks?

Started by micromegas, November 25, 2014, 03:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Quote from: Frag Magnet on November 26, 2014, 12:27:08 AM
Bass:  Fingers only.

x100. Using a pick on bass is like...well, I don't know what but it's wrong I tells ya! You get so much more sound out of finger playing. There is a certain type of bass line where a pick can be good like really driving 8th note stuff. But, I don't play no punk rock.

pickdropper

Quote from: icecycle66 on November 25, 2014, 11:12:57 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 25, 2014, 10:22:57 PM
I dropped all of mine and can't find them.   ;D

Exactly.

I'm not too picky.
I did have a really nice 2mm wooden pick once.  It was the perfect balance between defined pick attack and soft finger attack. 
Other wise i use the pink Dunlop Delrin  picks with a bandaid wrapped around it.  These picks wear down pretty fast, but I'm fine with that.  I use the worn down picks on treble guitar to try and neutralize the attack on those thin strings.

I wasn't actually saying they made no difference, I was just being silly based on my user name.

I used to really like Jazz IIIs, but once I got used to them I didn't feel as comfortable with larger picks, plus they aren't as good (for me) for strumming and sweeping.

Lately, I've been using the Cool picks, which are sort of an overpriced ripoff.  They're about a $1, which isn't too bad, except they don't last terribly long.  They are basically a glorified Fender style pick with a sharper point and some coating on the top that helps your grip.  I wish I could find them in bulk.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

icecycle66

Quote from: pickdropper on November 26, 2014, 01:37:26 PM
Quote from: icecycle66 on November 25, 2014, 11:12:57 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 25, 2014, 10:22:57 PM
I dropped all of mine and can't find them.   ;D

Exactly.

I'm not too picky.
I did have a really nice 2mm wooden pick once.  It was the perfect balance between defined pick attack and soft finger attack. 
Other wise i use the pink Dunlop Delrin  picks with a bandaid wrapped around it.  These picks wear down pretty fast, but I'm fine with that.  I use the worn down picks on treble guitar to try and neutralize the attack on those thin strings.

I wasn't actually saying they made no difference, I was just being silly based on my user name.

I used to really like Jazz IIIs, but once I got used to them I didn't feel as comfortable with larger picks, plus they aren't as good (for me) for strumming and sweeping.

Lately, I've been using the Cool picks, which are sort of an overpriced ripoff.  They're about a $1, which isn't too bad, except they don't last terribly long.  They are basically a glorified Fender style pick with a sharper point and some coating on the top that helps your grip.  I wish I could find them in bulk.

I was agreeing with you in that I am constantly dropping picks never to find them again.  That awesome wood pick I had; i have no idea where it is.

I go back and forth between pick and no pick through the course of a song, depending on what sort of sound I want for a given section. When I switch back and forth I drop the picks and usually have to get a new one.  By the rime I'm finished there are two or three picks on the floor somewhere, only a couple of which I'll actually be able to find.

Bass is exceptionally sensitive to picks, particularly the flexibility of the pick.  That's why I like the Dunlop pink ones. They are thick enough to pull the lower E and B strings, but flexible enough not to pull too hard on the G and C strings.

toetap

Fred Kelly Slick Pick and three latex salon nails for me. Never have dropped a thumb pick ;)

GermanCdn

I don't have to drop picks to lose them, all I have to do is put them down on the amp/coffee table/chair/guitar case and they disappear.  Same thing with headstock tuners, I have four of the PW ones, but if I can find one at any given time, I'm having a good day.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Frag Magnet

Quote from: madbean on November 26, 2014, 12:16:32 PM
Quote from: Frag Magnet on November 26, 2014, 12:27:08 AM
Bass:  Fingers only.

x100. Using a pick on bass is like...well, I don't know what but it's wrong I tells ya! You get so much more sound out of finger playing. There is a certain type of bass line where a pick can be good like really driving 8th note stuff. But, I don't play no punk rock.
I used to be kind of a snob about it but at this point it comes down to the fact that I can get pretty damn close to that sound but with a bit more meat on it (which sounds better to me anyway) yet also have all of those other sounds instantly available... without having to palm the pick or something.
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

lars

The best is to pull out a pick just before you "try out" an expensive classical guitar. Watch people's reaction. Nnnnooooooooooo!!!!!! (slow-motion replay)

madbean

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

I've been using V-Picks "Small Lite" or "Medium Lite" pretty much exclusively for the past 3 years or so. I bought half a dozen when they were on sale for $2 and have managed only to lose one so far.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on November 27, 2014, 09:40:18 AM

Haha, I am living proof that practicing doesn't always make you an expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper