News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lefty needs new axe!

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, November 13, 2014, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

With the cheaper Gibsons a lot of it has to do with the finish level.  The cheaper options, like the SGJ have a simple finish, no binding, thinks like that.

They often have multiple piece bodies (commonly 3 pcs, but some might have 2).

Hardware is pretty standard stuff.

For the Les Paul Studios, they will use the lower graded wood.  Most likely heavier with more of the insides gutted out, although they weight relieve every Standard thickness LP except for most of the Historic models.

The cheap ones can still be great guitars.  Gibson isn't known for great QC (even on the high end) so it's safer to try it out first or buy somewhere with a return policy.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

Biggest difference between the SGJ (or for that matter the Faded series, as they are pretty similar) to a Standard is the finishing, colour selection, and materials.  They have the thin satin finish, come in cherry and brown (and the occasional burst, I think those were a Limited Run), and typically the woods are paint grade, meaning they may have some cosmetic flaws in them, may be more multi part than others, etc, etc.  Those things don't affect the tone or playability all that much, and drive the manufacturing costs down.

Electronics wise, the new SGJ (or LPJ) series have the 490 set of pickups IIRC.  When they first came out, they have some other pickups in them with a black plastic cover.

SGJ's are not Plek'd like the Trads, Classics or Standards.  Makes a difference, but you can pay a luthier to do a good fret level and cut a new nut for a lot less than the difference in price.

I've got two Faded SGs (the predecessor to the SGJ), pretty happy with both of them.  And picked them both up used for less than the price of a new Epi G400, so easy enough to unload when I want to.

As far as LP Studios go, they are all over the map depending on the year.  Some of the early ones (the Lyte models) were made out of "chromyte" or something like that, effectively balsawood.  Neck profiles range pretty dramatically from year to year as well, I had one 90s model with a baseball bat neck which I could not get used to for the life of me.  My 2012 LP Studios both have 60s slim taper necks which are quite nice.  Depending on the year, the fingerboards could be rosewood, ebony (few and far between), richlite, granadillo, baked maple, obeche, laminated rosewood, etc.  Only advice there is the obeche ones typically do not hold frets well, so that's a consideration.  Pickups are typically 490 sets for the more recent models, 496R/498T for the older ones, and sometimes a 500T ceramic can be found in the bridge.

All that being said - try before you buy a Gibson.  Like PD said, QA is hit and miss in the Nashville plant.  My silver LP has a noticeable shoulder between the neck and the fretboard on both sides.  Pretty sure the fingerboard blank for that guitar was supposed to be for a bound neck guitar, and it never got binding.  It's not a big deal cause I didn't buy it new and it doesn't really affect the playability, but for a $1200+ guitar, that's inexcusable.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

dont-tase-me-bro

I'm lefty.  The last guitar I got was from Southpaw Guitars in Texas.  There's a few places that are like Ned Flanders' Leftorium
I thought this would save me money.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on November 14, 2014, 12:27:19 AM
I'm lefty.  The last guitar I got was from Southpaw Guitars in Texas.  There's a few places that are like Ned Flanders' Leftorium

Holy Cow! Just checked out Southpaw....

Talk about top dollar retail prices!!  :o

pickdropper

They have a good rep, though.  That is worth something on an Internet purchase.

The better Internet vendors have an approval period, which can be a lifesaver if you get an instrument that has issues or just doesn't suit you for any reason.  Dave's Guitar Shop is another good place to buy, although they don't specialize in lefty guitars.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

dont-tase-me-bro

I got my strat about 2 or 3 years ago, for about half of what he has them for now.  If I remember correctly he had fender custom shop do a run of about 100 or 200 guitars.  Last time I looked they were around 4k for some which is nuts.

There is also Jerry's lefty guitars, and the link below historically has a bunch

http://www.groovyguitar.com

We've come a long way since having to get the green handled scissors from the other classroom, but we still get shit on

dont-tase-me-bro

lincolnic

I've been playing my lefty Strat almost as long as I've been playing guitar, and I love it to death. Most other guitars just don't feel right to me!

Though you might like a Tele as well.