News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat DIP switch question

Started by whattheadam, May 11, 2011, 08:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whattheadam

Hey! I was wondering if i had this set up right. I'm building an Aristocrat, i have most of the board populated (waiting on two Nichicon Fine Gold caps) and i noticed on some other successful build reports here that my DIP switches looked different than theirs. On the pdf of the Aristocrat v4 layout, as well as the pcb, have screenprinted on them where the DIPs are placed (from left to right) a number 2 and then a number 1 and then in the center of it, a "+". http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/whattheadam/aristocratboardlayout.jpg

I matched my DIP switches orientation to that, but in order to have it match the 2 on left 1 on right, it is upside down, and resultingly my "on" is down rather than up. It seems backwards to me. http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/whattheadam/aristocratboard1.jpg

I didn't know there was a positive side to a DIP switch... that's why the + is confusing to me.

Can someone please help? I know it's kind of a silly question...

maysink

You may have the dip switch upside-down but it won't matter at all. The dip is an on/off connection. Use your digital multi-meter to confirm this. When you get a *beep* between both sides of a single channel of the dip switch (i.e. north & south of the '1' channel) then it is 'on' in the sense a signal will pass thru the dip switch.

Follow the traces in the build doc to see which set of diodes are controlled by which side of the dip. You have 4 options: off (no diode clipping), 1 of 2 diode sets clipping, the other set of diodes clipping and both sets of diodes clipping.

Make sense?
[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

The little plus sign is the handle used to place the component on the PCB in EagleCad. It has nothing to do with the actual component.

whattheadam

Thank you guys. That answered my
question completely. Unfortunately, and I think unrelated, the pedal doesn't work at all. I had to desolder a few things and I lifted some traces on accident, so I used some scrap resistor snips to do some point to point wiring... But I get nothing. Nada. No sound bypassed and when I turn on one of the channels it is noisier than a jet. I used my audio probe and can get signal through at multiple points... I just don't know. Seriously, I will pay someone to check my work, because I don't know what I did wrong.