News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda... What's safe to buy there vs. what to avoid???

Started by Leevibe, March 18, 2014, 03:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Don't know if anyone here as asked the same question already, but what about their LM7815? Are they safe? I needed one for a Harbinger One project.

RobA

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on November 09, 2014, 10:24:19 AM
Don't know if anyone here as asked the same question already, but what about their LM7815? Are they safe? I needed one for a Harbinger One project.
I haven't used the 15V regulators from them, but I have used several others of the fixed regulators and the LM317 and LM337 variable regulators and all of them have been fine.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. All of the fixed regulators have been fine, but I did have some of the variable regulators pop -- as in explode and send shrapnel around the room. So, I've actually got the regulators on my do-not-buy list. That could be an over reaction on my part because I have had multiple others of theirs work perfectly well.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: RobA on November 09, 2014, 10:41:07 AM
I haven't used the 15V regulators from them, but I have used several others of the fixed regulators and the LM317 and LM337 variable regulators and all of them have been fine.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. All of the fixed regulators have been fine, but I did have some of the variable regulators pop -- as in explode and send shrapnel around the room. So, I've actually got the regulators on my do-not-buy list. That could be an over reaction on my part because I have had multiple others of theirs work perfectly well.

So since the LM7815 is fixed, do you think it'll be fine?

RobA

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on November 09, 2014, 11:01:23 AM

I can't say for sure that they are, but I'd guess that they would be. They are cheap enough that I'd give them a try if I were making an order anyway. If they measure in spec to 15V, I'd say you were OK. The couple that I had pop blew up within 30 seconds of being on the breadboard.

On the other hand, the regulators are cheap enough pretty much everywhere that if I had to get some other parts somewhere else, I'd pick the regulators up there. So, for me, I get my regulators from other sources like Mouser.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

stevie1556

I use their:
Davies clone knobs
Enclosed jacks (perfect for 15th builds)
Pots
Sometimes resistors if I need some and making an order
Ceramic and film caps for same reason as resistors.
78L05 regulators
PT2399

My through hole stocks are dwindling though, and I generally only order the parts I need now.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: RobA on November 09, 2014, 11:08:03 AM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on November 09, 2014, 11:01:23 AM

I can't say for sure that they are, but I'd guess that they would be. They are cheap enough that I'd give them a try if I were making an order anyway. If they measure in spec to 15V, I'd say you were OK. The couple that I had pop blew up within 30 seconds of being on the breadboard.

On the other hand, the regulators are cheap enough pretty much everywhere that if I had to get some other parts somewhere else, I'd pick the regulators up there. So, for me, I get my regulators from other sources like Mouser.

Well, since none of the supliers that i'm going to order from, as the lm7815, would i better of ordering them from some suplier in ebay?

RobA

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on November 09, 2014, 11:13:29 AM
[...]
Well, since none of the supliers that i'm going to order from, as the lm7815, would i better of ordering them from some suplier in ebay?
I don't think it has to be an LM7815 specifically for the Harbinger. I think any of the L7815 in the TO-220 formats will work. As long as it has the same pinout and is the 1 amp version, it should be OK. Those are common enough that they should be available most places. I wouldn't trust Tayda any less than eBay on this part. They are very common and cheap, so I doubt if there is much of a reason to make a knock off. On the other hand, both Tayda and the suppliers on eBay probably just pick them up off of Alibaba, so it probably doesn't matter much where you get them from.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: RobA on November 09, 2014, 11:45:33 AM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on November 09, 2014, 11:13:29 AM
[...]
I don't think it has to be an LM7815 specifically for the Harbinger. I think any of the L7815 in the TO-220 formats will work. As long as it has the same pinout and is the 1 amp version, it should be OK. Those are common enough that they should be available most places. I wouldn't trust Tayda any less than eBay on this part. They are very common and cheap, so I doubt if there is much of a reason to make a knock off. On the other hand, both Tayda and the suppliers on eBay probably just pick them up off of Alibaba, so it probably doesn't matter much where you get them from.

Is this the same thing? Since it is 1,5A, i'm thinking no: http://www.banzaimusic.com/7815.html

RobA

It would be nice to know which part that actually is -- manufacturer etc, -- but it probably is the right part. ST Micro lists their L7815 as up to 1.5A even though the spec sheet for it does all of the speed values at a load of 1.0A.

I'd go with that one and then check the spec sheet to be sure after I had the part in hand, but I'm nearly positive it'll be the right one.

davent

I need beat up looking hardware to look right on my builds so usually propane torch the stainlees steel nuts and washers to age and patinacize them. Can you guess which hardware came from a Tayda Alpha dpdt look-a-like, and they were fired together... to be fair one is from a Tayda 3pdt stomp.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on November 11, 2014, 02:38:08 AM
I need beat up looking hardware to look right on my builds so usually propane torch the stainlees steel nuts and washers to age and patinacize them. Can you guess which hardware came from a Tayda Alpha dpdt look-a-like, and they were fired together... to be fair one is from a Tayda 3pdt stomp.

Lol!

chromesphere

Tayda sell low quality parts!?  How can that be possible when all their parts have 5/5 customer rated reviews?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Stomptown