News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cosmo on the rocks

Started by sprayfe, May 20, 2011, 07:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprayfe

It was too late to be drilling enclosures- but alas- here she is.

I either have a bum 127a- or I can't figure out the stinkin pinout-
So in frustration I stick a bc109 in q3.  Dear lord- loving it! I'll see if there's a place locally i can scrounge an ac127- but until then- this is a fun one!

You know what I love about bean's layouts? They just WORK. 
Fire up every time!!
Thanks Brian!

Can't wait to compare this one to the one I built up with "mojo" parts ;)

Lastly- anyone smarter than me want to help me make this a lunar module?

JeffdaMaori

That was pretty darn quick and looks great!  :o
I'm keen to get one together too....

k.rock!

Holy crap dude!....wh.....HOW?.... Was this project leaked?! How the heck did you build this so quick!? The documents were released last night and here we are 10:30am (eastern) and you have it built already.... :o just amazing dude haha!

I have mine on the way so I hope I can fire it up the first try as well :P congrats!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

You already got one?
The ac127 made me wanna put this project off but if it works with a BC109 I think I'm ready to go for it!
+1 for the awesomeness to turn this into an LM.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sprayfe

Since Brian is kind enough to release his art- I had a cosmo and lavache built up in an hour or so (;

It will certainly work with a 2 109s- but it won't sound like a screwdriver. I build a screwdriver last month using some mojo caps and resistors- and an oc44 in the q3 position. Can't wait to compare the two when I get the new tranny. I guess I will have a look at the schematic for the lunar module and try my hand at subbing parts- but I promise someone else would have a better
Go at it! I'm a newb.

I'm fairly certain it's as simple as nO Zener for the bs170
A few cap/resistor changes- and all bc109's.

The Pots are the same-

Also- I need to try a rev log 1k for the gain- I hear this is magic in fuzz face circuits.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Your a lucky guy! For being able to etch of course  ;D
I'm willing to give the conversion a go too. I should have a chance to look it over tomorrow morning  :)
Interesting about the FF gain pot. If you say its magic.....

k.rock!

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 21, 2011, 08:34:13 PM
Interesting about the FF gain pot. If you say its magic.....

So that means that the 1k pot and you have a lot in common...
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

cjkbug

I got a cosmo finished today. and yeah, sounds fantastic.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

dwstanford

Yeah, the rev. log pot on the ff makes the fuzz way more usable.  With the standard log, you pretty much have to crank it all the time.  Same with the linear.  If you have each different one, try them out and see if you notice a difference.  I prefer the rev. Log, but I have had people tell me I'm full of crap on this subject.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: dwstanford on May 22, 2011, 01:25:52 PM
Yeah, the rev. log pot on the ff makes the fuzz way more usable.  With the standard log, you pretty much have to crank it all the time.  Same with the linear.  If you have each different one, try them out and see if you notice a difference.  I prefer the rev. Log, but I have had people tell me I'm full of crap on this subject.

I totally agree. The linear taper just bunches all the gain into the last tiny rotation of the fuzz pot. With reverse log it sounds more like a normal gain control with the range spread out nicely over the pots rotation. I still leave the fuzz cranked though, I find with my FFs as the gain pot is turned down the sound gets sort of dull, but if I use the guitars volume knob the sound actually gets brighter and levels out the darkness of the fuzz.

With the Cosmo though you just turn up the pre gain or brilliance when you are turning the gain down so the reverse log is actually very useful.   

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 22, 2011, 04:53:11 PM
I totally agree. The linear taper just bunches all the gain into the last tiny rotation of the fuzz pot. With reverse log it sounds more like a normal gain control with the range spread out nicely over the pots rotation. I still leave the fuzz cranked though, I find with my FFs as the gain pot is turned down the sound gets sort of dull, but if I use the guitars volume knob the sound actually gets brighter and levels out the darkness of the fuzz.

With the Cosmo though you just turn up the pre gain or brilliance when you are turning the gain down so the reverse log is actually very useful.   

I know what you mean about the fuzz getting bunch up at towards the end of the pots rotation. I'll have to experiment with reverse log pots.

I've been wanting to understand the theory behind the choice of pot value to use and taper. I'll see similiarites between pedals but then others will be way off.