News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is the Bacon Bits a tone neutral clean boost? Need your advise..

Started by blearyeyes, October 28, 2014, 01:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I have a switched 23db boost in one of my guitars. 
I would like to built a simple clean boost pedal for my other guitars that don't have it.

If I built a Bacon Bits, what mods or op-amp would I use to try to make it as clean and tone neutral as possible?
Is there another project that would be better suited for the job?

Thanks

madbean

It is very tone-neutral, IMO. The only tone shaping happens with C3 and C4. The overall boost is not huge, but it will definitely cook a tube amp on the edge of breakup (which is what it is designed for). You could probably breadboard the whole thing in 15 minutes to see if you like it before committing to build.

An alternative would be the Muzique Mosfet Boost. That is about the same gain as your on-board. It is pretty neutral as well, although you could tamper down some of the brightness by messing with the input impedance of the mosfet. One downside to the mosfet boost is that it does tend to pop on the first few bypasses. If you toggle your bypass on and off 5 or 6 times it tends to discharge and the pop stops.

blearyeyes

chaipatel1980

I've built a both of those boosts. I had high hopes for the MOSFET boost and was pretty disappointed with the overall sound. I love the bacon bits boost with the treble cut switch. To my ears, there's no sound coloration and I don't have any background noise. Muzique does have a really clean op amp based boost that also works great. That project isn't listed on Jacks site so to find it you'd need to buy the multipurpose op amp board. It's also really clean and really quiet.