News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quackillac

Started by chuckbuick, October 21, 2014, 04:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  You guys and all your crazy builds and contributions are very inspiring.
Quote from: wgc on October 21, 2014, 12:58:44 PM
This is absolutely killer, Mark!  Quacked me right up.

Is this a solder paste build?
That's pretty punny, Billy. :)  Yep, another paste build.  I keep forgetting to order some different nozzles for my syringe so I'm still having a little bit of a control issue.  But I've got it written down on a list of things to order from Mouser.  Hopefully I'll find that list by the next time I have to place an order.
Quote from: pickdropper on October 21, 2014, 01:05:21 PM
Very refined looking build, Mark.  There are all sorts of nice touches to it.  Looks great.

Did you create the mudflap duck face girl graphic yourself?
Thanks Dave.  No, I'm totally lacking the skills to do original art.  I think I Googled "sexy duck" or something similar.  I also used it on my build of Harald Sabro's part Mutron/part Meatball envelope filter.

Govmnt_Lacky

Spectacular!  8)

I remember the issues when I built this circuit on the Tonepad layout. Had to use Fairchild CD chips to get it to work. The TI chips were unusable. Only when I went into the build reports did I find this out.

Definitely let us know what went into making the TI chips work out...

icecycle66

Your boards are fantastic.

chuckbuick

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 22, 2014, 12:30:44 AM
Spectacular!  8)

I remember the issues when I built this circuit on the Tonepad layout. Had to use Fairchild CD chips to get it to work. The TI chips were unusable. Only when I went into the build reports did I find this out.

Definitely let us know what went into making the TI chips work out...
I actually stumbled upon this while looking up info for a Bad Stone PCB that I'm starting to work on.  It was noted that some people were having troubles using TI CD4069's in that circuit and changing the bias might fix it.  Then somebody else thought that could be the issue with their MXR EF.  Unfortunately, I can't find the thread (pretty sure it was at DIYstompboxes) but I did happen to save this reply.  I think it's from Mark Hammer and refers to the MXR EF:

"There is a voltage divider (R14/R16 on the tonepad layout) attached to the IC2 4069.  Presumably, it influences the bias.  But the derived voltage, connected to IC2, is offset from Vsupply/2 (it is 100k/(62k+100k) x Vsupply, from memory), and this seems to stop some circuits from working.  Certainly, my TI-equiped circuit didn't work.  Fortunately, changing the 62k resistor to 100k resulted in instant success.  I believe that others have had similar success.  So the TI chip might have a tighter spec or be more sensitive to bias (if the MOSFETs have higher transconductance than the ones in old 4069s, or if the relationship between the N and P channels has changed over time it might lead to "locking up" more easily if the bias is "out" or different)."

Hopefully this helps you out.  Mine was doing nothing but as soon as I swapped out that 62K (R14) for a 100K it started quacking.

aeroemi

:o :o

Awesome build and graphics!

luks999

Looks fantastic! the enclosure and also the PCB :)

since im new here, some questions:
madbeans dont offer any SMD pcbs arent they? did you do this whole thing by yourself?
thinking on soldering smd makes my brain hurt already :)

nice job man ;)