Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How good is the Pigtronix EP-2 at imitating the sound of a vibe pedal? [demos]

Started by Cortexturizer, September 15, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Quote from: kothoma on September 21, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
[...]
Did you feed the JFETs directly or did you replace them with CMOS switches (CD4066)?

I don't remember completely, but I did use the standard JFET's. The general path for all of these types of things was

• Use ATTiny84 16 bit PWM outputs to generate the raw LFO signals.
  • Filter and buffer with a second order op-amp based low pass filter.
  • Scale the output from the filter to match the range of the original LFO.
  • Go from there directly into the portion of the original circuit that the LFO controls.

It was generally straight forward. The idea isn't limited to LFO's either. The same basic format will work for compressors, touch wah/auto filters, and expression pedal control.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kothoma

Quote from: RobA on September 21, 2014, 11:41:15 AM
Quote from: kothoma on September 21, 2014, 10:31:55 AM
[...]
Did you feed the JFETs directly or did you replace them with CMOS switches (CD4066)?

I don't remember completely, but I did use the standard JFET's. The general path for all of these types of things was

• Use ATTiny84 16 bit PWM outputs to generate the raw LFO signals.
  • Filter and buffer with a second order op-amp based low pass filter.
  • Scale the output from the filter to match the range of the original LFO.
  • Go from there directly into the portion of the original circuit that the LFO controls.

It was generally straight forward. The idea isn't limited to LFO's either. The same basic format will work for compressors, touch wah/auto filters, and expression pedal control.

Understand. You need to smooth the pwm signal quite a bit.
On the other hand, using pwm on a cmos switch requires a) high pwm frequency (best >40kHz) b) post filtering of the audio, so probably no savings here.