The inventors of the blue LED have won the Nobel Prize

Started by midwayfair, October 07, 2014, 05:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

It is interesting what discussions a nobel price can bring about.... :o
BigNoise Amplification

Muadzin

Quote from: GermanCdn on October 07, 2014, 10:23:55 PM
My then girlfriend (now wife) read an article in Maxim magazine about the conjugal benefits of Altoids.  Being that she tends not to do things half assed, she deduced that a) if one was good, six would be better and b) this would be much better as a surprise rather than consult me on the issue.  One might be good, I have no idea.  Six burn like the fires of hell on my oldest dearest friend.  Spent 42 minutes in the shower trying to end the pain. 

Nuff said.

I hear there are people who apply this kind of logic to all sorts of things. Like taking medicine.

As for the OP, I like blue LEDs. They're my default LED in all my builds as I learned the hard way that red LEDs become completely invisible on stage whenever the light tech gets enthusiastic with his red lights. And light techs seem to LOVE using red lighting on stage. At least blue LEDs cut through that rather well. Especially blindingly blue LEDs.  8)

Willybomb

Forget the light tech and his red lights, try playing on an outdoor stage in full sunlight and trying to work out what you've got switched on.

pickdropper

So the inventors of blindingly bright Blue LEDs won the Nobel Prize?

Bet they didn't see that coming.   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

I ... wish I hadn't asked.

Now my thread about the noble proliferation of eye-destroying lights has been tainted.

heh, I said taint.

ggarms

They had Brian Greene on NPR yesterday talking about this. My first thought was "wait, those blue leds?" They were discussing how the award not only goes to more abstract concepts like the discovery of the Higgs last year,, but also towards science with a very practical application that will impact our lives in a significant way. I love how relevant this is to us! Not that the Higgs isn't either though. Good post jon