News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Heads up on a clearcoat.. post paint recomendations/combinations here!

Started by Willybomb, September 11, 2014, 12:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

For those of you/us using rattlecans to finish your enclosures, I'm getting great results using this as a clear topcoat.

http://www.spraymax.de/index.php?id=362&L=1

I've been putting onto a matt black etching primer, and I've just done my fourth box with it, with no issues.  Dunno how it would go on an enamel - the guys at the shop say it's an acrylic, and the website says it'll work with oil or acrylic bases - but it's going on like glass and two coats is probably enough. Although it cuts back easily with wet/dry sandpaper and polishes well I don't see myself worrying about that with these two boxes I've just done.  Doesn't seem to react much to stickers I've been using as labels, but time will tell.

muddyfox

Willybomb

I put down a black primer, then the clear which brings it to a gloss, then the sticker/label, then clearcoat again.  I'm finding that the stickers don't actually stick to the primer that well, but stick to the clear fine.

So, no primer/basecoat combination, just the primer.

wgc

That kind of clear sprays and builds like a dream. 

But please make sure you're wearing the right kind of respirator, etc. and spraying in a safe place.  I'm pretty sure this has a type of cyanoacrylate as a hardener and you don't want that in your lungs. 

Not for amateurs in apartments or basements.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings