News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sometimes it's the cable

Started by culturejam, August 27, 2014, 01:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I spent about an hour this afternoon swapping out tubes to try to remedy an "almost no volume" problem with my Randall Diavlo 20. It worked perfectly the other day when I turned it on, but today I got no sound until I maxed the master and channel volume. Swapped out the power tubes first. Then V1. Then the other preamp tubes. Then the PI.

Then I unplugged from my pedal board and tested with just the amp-to-board cable. Same thing.

Then I pulled the amp and tried a different amp. Same thing! Aha!!!

Turns out it was the amp-to-board cable.  ::)

TL;DR - Sometimes it's the cable.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

And sometimes you go through all that and it's your guitar's volume knob turned all the way down ...  :-[
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Hah, one time I was swapping out patch cables like crazy, trying to find the bad one... then I spotted that the I/P Gain on my (non-true-bypass) ? Flange was on zero. (It affects the bypassed signal as well.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

In my case, it turned out to be the speaker cable. Sigh.

GermanCdn

In my case, it was testing with a guitar with a known bad volume pot which actually had a piece of masking tape on the back which said "Waiting for new harness".  Some days I am all looks, I tell ya.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

rullywowr

Bad guitar cable.
Bad speaker cable.
Cable not plugged all the way in.
Forgot to put IC in the socket.
Volume all the way down.
Didn't connect the ground wire.
Didn't connect the power wire.
Forgot a component.

Most of the time, it's the object between guitar and amp (ME!)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

RobA

I've done pretty much all of these, but my top favorite to do is forget to turn on the power.

Quote from: GermanCdn on August 27, 2014, 01:35:03 PM
In my case, it was testing with a guitar with a known bad volume pot which actually had a piece of masking tape on the back which said "Waiting for new harness".  Some days I am all looks, I tell ya.

This gave me a good chuckle. I feel the same way some times, but if I had to depend on my looks, I'd starve.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Leevibe

Last night at a rehearsal, couldn't figure out why my guitar signal was coming through the wedge monitors but in-ears were dead. Checked volumes etc. Took 10 minutes to figure out the in-ears weren't plugged into the aviom.