News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trade-up stories?

Started by Leevibe, September 28, 2014, 10:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

It turns out that pedals and the skill to build them make for a pretty good medium of exchange. What cool stuff have you gotten in exchange for pedals or pedal builds?

Here are the ones I can think of:

- Starting with my most recent, I built a triple pedal for a friend a few years ago. In exchange, he gave me a basket case USA built Fender Pro Junior. I was able to put it back together with the help of a schematic and gut shots I found online. I enjoyed that amp for a few years and then traded it a couple days ago for a 1956 Hammond M3 tonewheel organ.

- I just fixed a TS9 and got a cool little patch bay in return. The problem with the pedal? Opamp was fried. It was socketed so I just popped in a new one.

- Modded a wah for a friend a couple years ago and got a Marshall 1966a 212 cab. I hope to sell it soon to contribute to my Strat fund.

- I once built a tubescreamer for a friend who paid me and then gave me a set of '52 reissue tele pickups that I currently have loaded in my Squier Affinity. They sound wonderful.

- In addition to getting paid for a recent custom overdrive build, I was given a Presonus Comp16.

jimilee

I got 600 for a build I didn't really want to do, that's why I priced it so high. Built a KoT clone and traded it for a Mexican strat. Traded a preproduction Quad boost for a volume pedal.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

You GET stuff for building pedals?!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Lovetone flange and dopp clone plus £100 for. Foxrox tzf

Lovetone meatball clone for red panda particle

Lovetone dopp clone for v3 cosmichorus direct with Ryan dr scientist

I've made cash monies and good trades for Lovetone fans :)

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on September 28, 2014, 10:57:06 PM
You GET stuff for building pedals?!
Yep stuff is the coolest thing to get for pedals!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

juansolo

Got a Telemaster for a couple of pedals which eventually ended up looking like this. It now has a different body, bridge, pup from when I got it, but I saw a nice Fender neck there and a lot of potential.

Proper trigger's broom now as the only bits remaining from the very original guitar are the control plate and strap buttons.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

juansolo

It's the bake-e-lite guard that does it ;) But it is cool as f**k. Weighed a tonne when I got it, so I got WezV to make me a new body and now it's much, much better. It's actually routed for 3 TV Jones pups, but I decided to leave it esquired in the end.

LaceSensor

Quote from: juansolo on September 29, 2014, 03:25:36 PM
It's the bake-e-lite guard that does it ;) But it is cool as f**k. Weighed a tonne when I got it, so I got WezV to make me a new body and now it's much, much better. It's actually routed for 3 TV Jones pups, but I decided to leave it esquired in the end.

ok ill bite, what does the 3 way switch do, then.

juansolo

Back is tone bypassed, centre is standard vol+tone, forward is again tone bypassed but with a cap instead that sounds a bit like a cocked wah.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Eldred_Esquire_Wiring

Come to think of it, I've got weird wiring in the Stratele also as that's got a super switch in there that gives me a tele style bridge + neck in pos 4. The Mustang I rewired to do parallel/series/split on the switches... Leaving stuff standard would be boring ;)

madbean

TIL that I need to get rid of 30-40 pedals for stuff.

Leevibe

Quote from: juansolo on September 29, 2014, 04:18:05 PM
Back is tone bypassed, centre is standard vol+tone, forward is again tone bypassed but with a cap instead that sounds a bit like a cocked wah.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Eldred_Esquire_Wiring

Come to think of it, I've got weird wiring in the Stratele also as that's got a super switch in there that gives me a tele style bridge + neck in pos 4. The Mustang I rewired to do parallel/series/split on the switches... Leaving stuff standard would be boring ;)

Dang that's cool

edit: just noticed the flipped control plate. Even cooler.

pickdropper

Esquires are great.  A buddy of mine has an early 60's Esquire that I play every chance I get.  It just sounds fantastic.

Trading gear is fun.  I've gotten some cool things that way.  Most recent was the Cabronita partscaster with TV Jones pickups in it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Rockhorst

TAD Blues Breaker cab for my DIY amp, exchanged for three pedals, was one of my better deals :) Though honestly, on most my pedals I get 'the usual': parts price x 2.5. That's just enough to allow for mistakes and build one for myself as well, which I think is fair.