News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Off Topic Mostly: Contractor Rant

Started by pryde, August 04, 2014, 09:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

The only thing this has to do with pedals is that it is eating all my time to work/build.

Stomach is in knots at the moment. We recently hired a construction company to build a house addition (24x24" on a crawl-space). Wrote the contract which specified a MASON foundation (i.e. block and mortar). The contractor had an architect draw a plan for the addition which included, unknown to me, a "pillar and beam" foundation which is essentially wood posts set in concrete instead of a block foundation. This is how one would normally build a deck or sunroom, etc.

Now, I looked at the plan, obviously with focus on the floor plan, doors, windows, etc. and did not see/recognize/understand this pillar foundation, mostly because I never dreamed something like this could be used for a HOUSE foundation. The kicker is that it does meet code and it can be used but it is obviously a cheap and poor choice for this application, especially since there will be utilities in the crawl space area under the addition. Instead of blocks making up the outer walls there would be a "skirt" around the foundation made of treated wood. BAD IDEA for many reasons, especially in Illinois.

So a couple days into construction I see all these posts being set in the ground with concrete and I wonder: WTF are they doing? I ask the crew leader and he explains per the print they are putting in a pillar foundation instead of a block foundation. STOP! There are currently 12 posts set and the owner/contractor is trying to pull the: "if you want it different you are going to pay for it"

My Lawyer has been contacted and he is confident I am OK in this situation from a legal stand point as the original contract was never changed to reflect a different type of foundation even though I said OK the drawn technical plan. There was a sizable draw of money given up front for initial materials.

Contractor is licensed and insured, been in business many years in the area so I had no reason to distrust this guy but man was I wrong.

pietro_moog

i'm sorry for your situation. stuff like this happens often and everywhere. if you are in a sound legal position you will
get the job done or eventually refunded and maybe compensated (but this could involve a lawsuit)
in the end your big loss will be in time lost (probably a HUGE loss of time).
i'm sorry

jrod

Damn! What a headache! Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully when your lawyer now involved it'll get done the way you wanted.

GermanCdn

If the contract explicitly states the foundation as you have indicated, it can't cost you more.  Don't be in any rush to pay them the holdback at the end of the job, and make sure you deduct your legal fees to getting the issue resolved.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

wgc

That sucks, this should be something exciting and to be happy about.

Even if you end up in the clear, you're going to have to watch him like a hawk. There will be plenty of incentive to make up any loss on his part.

Sorry man. I have to have a repair done at my place and dread dealing with contractors.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pryde

Thanks guys.  He is coming tomorrow for a sit down. His choices are A) do the work per the contract.  B) give full refund and restore work to original condition.  C) get a lawyer unleashed on him to get option b accomplished.  I really hope this ass-clown gives the money back and gets gone without a fuss. Not likely though.  Argh.