News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

truebypass wiring with battery

Started by garfo, July 30, 2014, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

When I use the standard wiring diagram but with a battery only, does the battery discharge if in bypass? It is for an onboard pre-amp that I'm planning on building with passive/active 3pdt switch.

RobA

Yeah, the battery powers the effect all the time. If you don't use an indicator LED in the circuit, you could use a 3PDT switch to turn on and off the battery with the bypass. That might cause a tiny startup lag, depending on the circuit.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

garfo

Yeah, I'll be using a 3pdt toggle switch, that's the idea. The circuit will be a MM stingray preamp.
How could I wire it in order to disconnect the battery when playing in passive mode; connecting the ground of the battery on the LED ground lug of the 3pdt???

RobA

Actually, it's easy to do even if you do want an LED. Just use two of the sets of lugs to wire up a standard DPDT bypass arrangement. Use the third set of lugs as an on /off switch for the battery. As long as the LED is wired post the switch, it'll turn on and off with the switch and the bypass.

I would try the circuit out with a breadboard first though. In addition to the possible lag at turn on issue, flipping the power on to a circuit can/will cause transients on the voltage rails. That could easily end up being audible in the circuit when you flip the switch.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

garfo

I see what you mean, I didn't think about that. I'm not using an LED, it is an onboard preamp, so, no LED's.
Perhaps it is not a good idea to do that. My idea was to save battery when playing in passive mode, but since I'll be using the LM4250 IC, it might not even be necessary since it draws very little current. But I'll try it anyway and see what happens.

8)