News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Distortion 9

Started by chuckbuick, July 25, 2014, 05:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

Do you ever find yourself a little bored and killing time with Eagle?  Well, I have.  And here is the result.  It's an MXR Distortion+ with plenty of clipping options.  You've got your schottky, silicon, transistor and LED clippers with a switch to go between symmetrical and asymmetrical for all of them.  Or it can run with no diode clipping.  Nine different clipping combo's, hence the name Distortion 9.  I also threw in a Fat switch as an afterthought.

It was originally meant to be all board mounted (except the Fat switch) switches and pots to fit in a 1590A.  But I underestimated the width of the switches and they wouldn't fit in line.  So I spread it out for a 1590B.

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Wow looks like a very versatile OD. You SMD guys are insane.

Cody

Tremster

This is cool.
And yes, SMD guys are insane.

wgc

Awesome!  What's your favorite setting?

Love the switches space work around- the only give away is the silkscreen. Oh, and that you told us. :)

Sweet job on the c3 wires.  Also, amazing that you have parts on both sides but only one via. I know the thru holes are carrying some of that work, but still.

Speaking of which, i think thru hole is crazier than smd, all that lead clipping, hole drilling, etc.  (still cool though!)

I may be a little nuts, but smd has nothing to do with it.  I think.  :)
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

bcalla

wgc

Oh, and super slick nod to the original color and graphics.

Love the little tag between the switch leads too.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

chuckbuick

Thanks guys.  I also used SMT caps on the Fat switch.  They fit nice between the lugs of the DPDT.
Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 25, 2014, 06:55:03 AMYou SMD guys are insane.
Quote from: Tremster on July 25, 2014, 07:35:44 AMAnd yes, SMD guys are insane.
A little.  Buy mostly just wacky ;D.
Quote from: wgc on July 25, 2014, 12:02:44 PM
Awesome!  What's your favorite setting?
Sweet job on the c3 wires.  Also, amazing that you have parts on both sides but only one via. I know the thru holes are carrying some of that work, but still.
Probably asymmetrical silicon.  Basically the same thing I built months ago without all the switches on a single-sided etched board.  Which makes me wonder how I ended up with 2 vias on this one.  They are both stitching GND from one side to the other.  Here's my Captain Peyote etched SMD Distortion+ board.

jtn191

davent

Clean, clean, clean inside and out! Very nice!

Where are you sourcing the round nuts for the stomp switch?

Thanks
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lincolnic

Man, this is really good.

alanp

Quote from: chuckbuick on July 25, 2014, 05:53:00 AM
Do you ever find yourself a little bored and killing time with Eagle?

Who, me?  ;D

Bloody tidy work, for the amount of clipping options going on!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chuckbuick

Thanks dudes.
Quote from: davent on July 25, 2014, 04:06:24 PMWhere are you sourcing the round nuts for the stomp switch?
I found a small stash at work last winter when we were cleaning.  But I think Smallbear carries them and probably some other places.  Search for "Carling nut" and you should get some results.

Here's a shot of one of the SMT caps on the Fat switch.  It's kinda bridged in there.  A 1206 package would probably work much better.