News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Input Voltage Handling for Projects--How do you figure it out?

Started by Myramyd, April 23, 2011, 05:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myramyd

Hello all,

On any of the projects here or in general, how do you tell what voltage the project can handle? (i.e. 9V, 12V, 18V)

Is this just determined by the specs of the ICs and/or Transistors used in the project? This is assuming most of the other parts (resistors, caps, etc.) can handle the voltage too. Or do you have to know what the voltage is doing at various points in the circuit where it meets those components? This is also assuming the project doesn't already have a charge pump in the circuit (Fatpants, etc.)

I'm sure it gets annoying with people always asking "Will XX handle 18V?" all the time. So I wanted to know how you calculate it for yourself.

Thanks!
J

madbean

Most transistors and ICs can handle more than 9v. Almost any overdrive or boost can be run at 12, 15 or 18v provided that the capacitors used are rated appropriately. It's a good idea to just use at least 25v rated caps all the time.

One thing to be aware of: for ICs, it's necessary to check the corresponding datasheet to see what voltage rating it has. The TCL2272, for example, has a 10v rating (although I've run them over that).

Some specialized components will not handle 18v. You would not want to plug 18v in a Pork Barrel chorus. But, 15v regulated would be okay, IIRC.

stecykmi

most transistors fail due to current rather than voltage. opamps are a little more fragile, but are still more sensitive to current than voltage. this isn't usually a problem when changing supply voltage.

it's usually the electrolytic caps and special purpose IC's, as well as the cmos IC's (CD4xxx is 15v and 74xxx is 9v I think).

bigmufffuzzwizz

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

As long as your parts can handle the voltage you can. Will it sound good? I don't know.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2011, 05:08:03 PM
As long as your parts can handle the voltage you can. Will it sound good? I don't know.

Jacob
Yea of course that is the question. I'll have to get back to whether I can really hear a difference. If it means headroom I really don't mind my fuzz pedals nasty and noisy..

stecykmi

most people have better luck running fuzzes below normal supply voltage.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: stecykmi on April 30, 2011, 08:47:02 PM
most people have better luck running fuzzes below normal supply voltage.

Right thus the bias knob. I've still yet to experiment with that.