News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fender Mustangs

Started by HailToTheBlues, June 08, 2014, 12:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

I still haven't had the chance to hear how it sounds, but i really liked the look of it and the specifications. What's your opinion about the sound of it? Would it sound close to those 60's fender tones?

GermanCdn

It's definitely better on the Vintage settings than the modern settings.  I've got the head, so I can't comment on the combo, but I've run it through a 1X12 sealed w/12" Eminence, 1X12 open back w/ 12" Jensen, 2 X 12 closed w/ 12" Celestions, and a 4X12 Marshall cab.  Sounds good in all arrangements (but different, speaker and cab play a big part in it), currently it's dedicated to the 2X12 combo.  Takes pedals really well.  You've got five knobs and five switches on it, good chance you can dial what you're looking for).

It's a good fit for most musical styles, I wouldn't venture too far past hard rock with it.  Between it and my Darkhorse, I actually prefer the Darkhorse, but it's a whole lot more limited than the Tweaker (tone band tone stack, no fx loop, no Vox setting).

Long story short - it's a good amp that covers a lot of ground.  Is it my go to amp?  No.  But that's probably more to do with the fact that I've got a dozen other amps in the man-cave to choose from. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for the "review", i'll check some demos to see if i like it. I'll also check those amps people here suggested, but i don't think i can find those brands here in Portugal.

Ps: that 4-0 on monday was heavy!

GermanCdn

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 18, 2014, 05:42:52 PM
Thanks for the "review", i'll check some demos to see if i like it. I'll also check those amps people here suggested, but i don't think i can find those brands here in Portugal.

Ps: that 4-0 on monday was heavy!

You can get some Traynor products from Thomann in Germany (limited and mostly used, but they do have a Darkhorse in stock right now).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

HailToTheBlues

I've been searching lately for amps, and i liked one that was spoken here, that was the traynor YCV-80. It is a 4x10, like the bassman. What do you guys think of it? Especially you Curtis, because you said you got one. Also, what do you guys think about the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III? My budget is relatively short, but i wanted something with a good tone, that i could rely on, not an amp that i would feel like to change soon. I wanted to keep my budget around the 600 dollars. I know i can't get a professional amp for 600 dollars, but i wanted something with a bassman feel. Maybe the tweeker that was also spoken here.
I don't mind paying a little more, if i know that a specific amp is worth the extra money.

HailToTheBlues

Also, of course i would love to get a real Bassman, but a new one here, usually costs around 1500 euros, which i think is near 2000 dollars, and i can't seem to find any used ones around here. Maybe the bassman isn't that famous around here, or no one's willing to sell theirs.

GermanCdn

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 30, 2014, 02:53:14 PM
I've been searching lately for amps, and i liked one that was spoken here, that was the traynor YCV-80. It is a 4x10, like the bassman. What do you guys think of it? Especially you Curtis, because you said you got one. Also, what do you guys think about the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III? My budget is relatively short, but i wanted something with a good tone, that i could rely on, not an amp that i would feel like to change soon. I wanted to keep my budget around the 600 dollars. I know i can't get a professional amp for 600 dollars, but i wanted something with a bassman feel. Maybe the tweeker that was also spoken here.
I don't mind paying a little more, if i know that a specific amp is worth the extra money.

The YCV-80Q 4X10 was a limited run of the amp and has been discontinued, so you're stuck on the used market for it.  THe YCV-80 2X12 is still in production.

Tone wise, the clean channel is very Fender-ish, complete with the Bright Switch and the Expander switch, so you can toy around with the settings there as well.  It's a Master Volume amp, so you can crank the volume on the clean channel and the choke it on the Master if you have to.

The dirty channel is not as Fenderish.  Like I said in my NAD thread, if you dime the gain and hit the mid scoop scoop, and your are well into the realm of metal.

I haven't used it a whole bunch yet, as it's still airing out in my garage because cigarette smoke has infiltrated every porous surface on it, so I can't give you a rundown on how it plays with pedals, but my three other Traynors (YCV-20, Darkhorse, and Custom Special 100) all take pedals very well, though the CS works better with line level pedals in the FX loop, have to figure that one out yet.

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for the "review", there's an ycv-80q on ebay for 530 dollars, but don't know if it is secure.
As for the hot rod deluxe, does anyone as an opinion?

HailToTheBlues

So any thoughts on the Hot Rod Deluxe III?

rullywowr

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on July 01, 2014, 04:16:08 AM
So any thoughts on the Hot Rod Deluxe III?

I've had one and it's a fine amp. I didn't care for the od channel but the clean channel is great. Very pedal friendly and very loud, can keep up with a drummer nicely.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

HailToTheBlues

And what about the bass of the amp, was it any like the bassman, or is the hot rod not that bassy?

GermanCdn

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 30, 2014, 10:54:57 PM
Thanks for the "review", there's an ycv-80q on ebay for 530 dollars, but don't know if it is secure.

$530 would be a decent European used price on the Traynor.  Typically here (Canada, and they're a Canadian company) their resale is 40% of new or less (and the new price on a 80Q was $960), but used prices are a lot more reasonable over here than in the EU in my experience (some days I think I should pallet up a crate of guitars, ship it to my office in Germany, take a two week vacation and ebay them all off, I would make a killing).

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 01, 2014, 02:22:13 PM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 30, 2014, 10:54:57 PM

$530 would be a decent European used price on the Traynor.  Typically here (Canada, and they're a Canadian company) their resale is 40% of new or less (and the new price on a 80Q was $960), but used prices are a lot more reasonable over here than in the EU in my experience (some days I think I should pallet up a crate of guitars, ship it to my office in Germany, take a two week vacation and ebay them all off, I would make a killing).

Unfortunately, i forgot to check the customs and shipping, and it adds more 200 euros, so, it is not worth the pain.
As for the used gear in EU, you're right, people here sell their amps usually for less 100 euros than new ones, and for a product without guarantee, and usually a little beaten, it makes buying used gear not worth the pain....