News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy FIRST repeat distorted

Started by deadTalash, June 25, 2014, 07:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadTalash

Hi guys, I'm having a strange problem. I've built an aquaboy2012 with two MN3005s running at 15v. Spent a lot of time biasing the bbds, but the problem remains. When i stroke the strings pretty hard, first repeat sounds like it's clipped, next ones are good. Problem appears when the bridge pickup is on (Seymour Duncan JB4)  But when i switch to the neck (1 coil of Carvin c22) the problem is gone. Seems like it's "headroom" problem, maybe something wrong with compander NE570, any ideas?
Thank you guys!

Scruffie

Well... BBDs don't have masses of headroom if you're using high output pickups it may just be normal behavior.

What's the voltage on pin 7 of the compander though.
Works at Lectric-FX

deadTalash

I measure 7.69v DC at pin7 of NE570.
P.S. Remember Scruffie, we were discussing the triple delay time mod? Unfortunately, the third MN3005 I got was fake one, so I had no chance to try this(

Scruffie

It happens... frequently.

7.69v is fine... I think it might just be your biasing not being 'perfect' and the use of high output pickups and playing hard, from memory an MN3005 will take about a max of 1Vrms.
Works at Lectric-FX

deadTalash

But why only the first repeat is distorted? I pulled the humbucker down, so it's output is now lower. But it still distorts!) Neck pickup with higher output does not distort!))) Very strange ???

midwayfair

Quote from: deadTalash on June 25, 2014, 12:04:30 PM
But why only the first repeat is distorted?

1. Repeats are progressively band-pass filtered.
2. The volume of repeats decays.
3. The first repeat was clipped AT the chip's headroom - by definition the subsequent repeats will therefore be BELOW the headroom.