News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ABY Switch for 2 pedals in 1 enclosure

Started by chip46, April 14, 2011, 11:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chip46

Hello all, first post.

I'm working on a project that involves two pedals in a single enclosure, an order switch to determine which pedal comes first, and an ABY switch. The order switch and overall wiring for 2 pedals in 1 box I have down, it's just the ABY I'm stuck on now.

All the diagrams and schematics I've seen show two DPDT's for this, but is there any way to mount it on one switch? Preferably an On-On toggle; I don't need LED's. I'm using seperate bypass switches for the two effects, so I want the ABY to be a toggle switch on its own, to control the function of the bypass switches.

Also, with ABY's and AB switches, you have one input and two outputs, or vice versa. With two pedals in one enclosure, I only have one input and one output, so would I have to use the outputs from the two bypass switches? I'm unsure of how this would work, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I explained that well enough. Please feel free to ask questions if I screwed something up in the explanation.  :)

jkokura

ABY means you need two outputs. With th Y in there you need a third option so an on-on switch won't work you will need two switches.

Basically switch one chooses Both or One output. Switch two is only active on the other switch's one option, and it selects output a or output b.

It sounds like you want switching to turn a pedal on, or b pedal on, or both pedals on in series. This is not the same as ABY switching

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

chip46

Basically yes, I want to either be able to turn on one at a time, or both together, with a switch that allows me to choose between the two options. Not sure what the term was, ABY was just the closest thing I could think of.

So basically there isn't a way to do what I'm wanting with just one toggle? I'd rather not use two toggles, because I'm using independent footswitches for the bypasses of both pedals, so having the A or B option on a toggle isn't ideal. I'm also at a space premium when it comes to adding footswitches, so adding the A or B option in a footswitch is kind of out of the question as well.

I thought about making the two bypass switches somewhat close together, so that if I wanted an A or B option I could just hit both switches at the same time, but the toggle switch idea just seemed cooler.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Its really simple. You just connect the out of the first pedal(that would go to the out jack) to the in of the second. Then complete as you normally would!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

chip46

I understand how to wire two pedals into one enclosure, it's the switching I described that I was having trouble with. I guess I'm off to look at more schematics.

jkokura

Give me some time, I'll see what I can find.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

chip46

I really appreciate it. I'm coming up pretty empty.

Edit: I've never used relays, but maybe a relay setup would be easier to do something like this?

jtn191

if i understand correctly, you're wanting to build something like this in the box? http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/OrderSwitcher.htm

chip46

Well it will have an order switcher in it, yes, but that part I've already figured out. The other part of the equation is a switch or something that will allow only one pedal to be on at once (ie, hit pedal A, it comes on and pedal B goes off and vice versa), or both in series.

jkokura

Quote from: chip46 on April 15, 2011, 12:43:43 AM
I really appreciate it. I'm coming up pretty empty.

Edit: I've never used relays, but maybe a relay setup would be easier to do something like this?

Maybe. Except that you'd need an MCU that can read your brain and determine which setting you want in your head.

Here's what I know I can do for you. You may not be able to include the order switcher, and you're going to need two switches for the on off both. I had an idea, but google turned up proving me silly. You need to have both switches. I'd have to do some work on looking at how to make the order switcher happen, but because you want an A/B/Both type switch, that may not be possible. You'd have to use one or the other I think.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

chip46

I was thinking that may be the case. Not sure which I'd choose, I would definitely use the A/B/Both switch more, but not if it required two switches.

This is what I was going off of for the order switch:

chip46

Sorry for the double post, but a question/idea just came to me.

Normally two pedals in one enclosure are wired in series, but what would happen if they were wired in parallel? This would essentially give two outputs coming from the bypass switches going to a single output jack. So you could make the A and B part of the ABY the outputs from said bypass switches, and the input would actually be a single wire going to the output jack.

I'm not sure if that is a viable option, just a thought that occured. If something like that is possible then it would partially solve my problem, but I've never heard of two pedals being run in parallel. I would still need to figure out how to get it all on one switch, but it would be a step closer.