News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Operating Green Bean (Tube Screamer) at +18v

Started by jul059, June 03, 2014, 02:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jul059

Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if there would be any benefits to operating the Green Bean at 18v. According to this website (http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html), the clipped signal is combined to the input signal to create the output signal :

QuoteIt turned out that the output waveform of the noninverting clipper consists of two components: (1) the amplified and clipped version of the input waveform (2) plus the unamplified input waveform. That is, the noninverting clipper adds (or mixes) the original input signal to the amplified and clipped input signal.

I'm thinking that there could be an improvment in dynamics if the pedal is operated at 18v. Am I right?

gtr2

As long as the component ratings you used are over 18V give it a try :)

Let your ears be the guide.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Quote from: jul059 on June 03, 2014, 02:25:06 AM
QuoteIt turned out that the output waveform of the noninverting clipper consists of two components: (1) the amplified and clipped version of the input waveform (2) plus the unamplified input waveform. That is, the noninverting clipper adds (or mixes) the original input signal to the amplified and clipped input signal.

I'm thinking that there could be an improvment in dynamics if the pedal is operated at 18v. Am I right?

It's a thing that many people aren't hip to, but (IMO) explains why the TS type design is so popular: the clipped signal mixes with the clean signal. A simple thing, but crucial to the "feel" of the pedal.

jul059

madbean,

I also have some questions regarding the design choice of the Green Bean.

First, what is the purpose of lowering the input impedance by lowering R3. Is a higher impedance not desired in effects to reduce the power transferred between the pickup and the circuit? Also, same question for R7 and R13, but it is less clear to me what these resistors do. Finally, what does the cap C3 actually do in the circuit and why did you increase it's value?

Thanks,
jul059