News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMD projects

Started by mah62, May 10, 2014, 08:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mah62

Does anyone know of any SMD fx projects out there to either etch or purchase?
It's time to give it a go! I just missed out on Pickdropper's nomojo fuzz offer and wondered if it would be made available to purchase again? Cheers!

Mark

muddyfox

I have (verified by peeps on this board):

Fairfield Barbershop
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13378.0

Sweet Honey OD
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=14030.0

I also have a smd Zendrive that I offered for last year's PIF, bound to be a few boards somewhere in my drawers.

These are nice beginner friendly projects. I laid them out purposefully for ease of soldering, not minimizing board size.
I also have a few yet untested projects but more on that if I ever get around soldering them up.  ::)

pickdropper

We've got some extra NoMoJo Fuzz's.  Shoot me a PM and I'll send you one.  I'm feeling PIFy today.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Every time my fingers drop an 0603, I'm Superfly T.N.T., I'm the Guns of the Navarone! IN FACT, WHAT THE F@#K AM I DOIN' IN THE BACK?

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

For fun, try some of the smaller packages. 

I soldered up Chuckbuick's board with 0201 passives this week.  I had forgot how fun those are.  My experience was similar to the last time I soldered 0201s.  If they make it to the PCB, I can solder them no problem.  If I drop a resistor, it's gone.
Function f(x)

jubal81

Quote from: pickdropper on May 10, 2014, 02:07:45 PM
For fun, try some of the smaller packages. 

I soldered up Chuckbuick's board with 0201 passives this week.  I had forgot how fun those are.  My experience was similar to the last time I soldered 0201s.  If they make it to the PCB, I can solder them no problem.  If I drop a resistor, it's gone.

That is really impressive - just blows my mind. I did Chuck's 8-stage Ross phaser 2 nights ago and the passives were smaller than the itty bitty debris on my bench. Still no joy on that one. It passes signal, but there's no oscillation.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

I was actually semi joking about it.  0201's are so small, that everything requires more care just to keep from losing the parts.

I enjoyed it as a challenge, but I wouldn't want to hand solder 0201's on any regular basis.  I got the impression from Mark that he isn't planning on doing those as a regular thing, either.

Next up, 01005.  No, not really.  :-)
Function f(x)

mah62

Wow, thanks for the replies guys and for the generous offers! Permission to PM you, Muddyfox, regarding the Zendrive. I live in the UK so would only be too happy to cover your costs.

Only time will tell if I have the patience/eye sight to do this but yes you're right, I won't be doing this on anything but a casual basis. I have little time for the "normal" stuff! Still, gotta give it a go!

Mark

muddyfox

By all means, PM away...

This board is now officially too polite...  ;D

Droogie

Muddy's Barbershop board is totally worth building too! Great variety of sounds with that one.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

muddyfox

Hey thanks for the plug, man! :-)

Im trying my hand at both powdercoating and envirotexing right now and theres a box planned for the barbershop. If all goes well, I'll have it done by Xmas... LoL

sent from my mobile device

mah62

First of all, a big thanks to Pickdropper for getting a Nomojo board to me, thanks Bruv! Still waiting for 0603s to arrive before I can start that.

The good news is that I've started work on a couple of Muddyfox's boards and to my delight, I think I can do this SMD stuff. Redid the 0805 caps and resistors on the Zendrive 3 times before I was happy with my work. Definitely going to be doing this more!

I am a bit confused, still, with regards SMD diodes: M1, SS12, S1B-13, SMA, SMA-XL, DO-214..... I could go on! After googling the subject,  I was bombarded with so much jargon I was even more befuddled. Could anyone help clarify which of the above terms refer to diode type, to package size or to power/voltage rating?

Cheers, folks! Mark