News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first build report!

Started by mattlee0037, May 23, 2014, 04:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattlee0037

Ok, so I've been a member here a while, but never really got around to posting any build reports. I have three, but two of the builds I gave to my friend the next day and didn't think about pictures so I'll ask him to send me pictures. So how fitting for my first build report to be a klone. It is the refractor from aionelectronics.com It is a great small PCB. I had originally tried a klone a while ago in a 1590BB, but it didn't end up working too well so I wanted to use the enclosure, hardware, pots, etc. to have another go. Bought the sunking board, but it turns out the drill template didn't fit my already drilled enclosure so I bought a refractor anticipating that I would use my BB but I had a blank 1590b laying around so I said what the heck.

Some notes: I ordered all my passives from Paul and he isn't mouser, nor does he claim to be, so for all the odd values I just rounded up to the nearest one. I ended up subbing a good amount of parts and doing the 'tone mod' in the sunking BOM and the fat switch (switches between 100nf and 150nf). When I finished there were 2 catastrophic errors (I exaggerate). First I plugged it in and nothing happened. I was angry. None of my builds ever work. Then I realize I accidentally swapped the +9v and ground wires at the dc jack. Good thing I caught that really fast. Then after I fixed that my bypass was horribly quiet and I got a tone of whine in the circuit. Luckily after about a minute I realize on my input jack I had switched tip and sleeve. After that it worked pretty great it was just a little dark for my tastes (from rounding up all the caps and the tone centralizer mod). So I went for the standard tone section and it has just the right amount of treble! First time with a fresnel lens and I love it, these are must use for me from now on!
The 'T' looks off but it's just the angle. I'm too OCD for that to happen. This build will also probably end up with my friend.

selfdestroyer

Great job Matt, Love the stamps and the raw look. Very clean inside and out. Look forward to seeing more builds from you.

Cody

lincolnic

Looking good! You should post a report about your IG-88 when you get that guy boxed up.

muddyfox

Very cool!
No wonder you swapped those wires, with them being all black...

rullywowr

Really nice work man!  I like the industrial look, very solid.  Welcome to the forum, and hope to see more builds from you soon.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

mattlee0037

Yeah in the picture the sleeve and tip positions were switched so like an idiot I just mindlessly followed the picture after being at my bench forever.

Leevibe

Nice work. Excellent wiring! Monochromatic in and out is cool!