News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

waaaay off topic (Star Wars content)

Started by Leevibe, May 22, 2014, 06:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

JJ isn't an artist. He's a salesman with connections. Everything I've seen of his so utterly vapid an argument could be made that it's some kind of sophisticated satire.
As bad as the directing and acting is, the WRITING really makes you just want to vomit bile - totally incoherent and full of holes with dialogue that just bounces from one cliche to the next.
Try to imagine one of those Star Trek movies without the $160 million of computer animation. It would make those dorky Turkish Star Trek ripoffs look genius.

What would be cool? Getting Nicolas Winding Refn to do the whole thing in deserted Mexican villages and jungles.

Anyway, if you guys haven't seen this, it's about an hour and a half of pure hilarity.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on May 22, 2014, 08:26:56 AM
Any re-make of a classic (In the Mouth of Madness and earlier) John Carpenter film. The only exception being the Thing (which was ironically a remake itself) that they actually did a pretty decent job on. Not a patch on the original and the pure CGI alien parts jarred badly. But still, not bad.
Juan, I do agree with you on remakes but The Thing (2011) was actually a prequel of The Thing (1982). The 2011 version ends with the Norwegians chasing the wolf that then finds the american camp in the 1982 version. I love both movies and wish the marketing was a bit better with the 2011 one since all my friends refused to watch it when they thought they replaced MacReady with a woman... but that's not the case. Everyone I explain it to and watches the movie loves it. Its a great film and did a great job on the effects.

Cody

flanagan0718

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 22, 2014, 05:32:42 PM

Juan, I do agree with you on remakes but The Thing (2011) was actually a prequel of The Thing (1982). The 2011 version ends with the Norwegians chasing the wolf that then finds the american camp in the 1982 version. I love both movies and wish the marketing was a bit better with the 2011 one since all my friends refused to watch it when they thought they replaced MacReady with a woman... but that's not the case. Everyone I explain it to and watches the movie loves it. Its a great film and did a great job on the effects.

Cody

I totally agree. It was a great movie. I didn't really care for the actual alien but none the less a good movie.

juansolo

Yeah that's what I meant. The latest Thing was a prequel to Carpenter's Thing, which was the remake of The Thing From Another World, which was an adaptation of Who Goes There ;)

For clarity I liked the prequel (latest), only the full monster shots let it down for me. I liked the way they had to use the darkness and leave a lot to the imagination in earlier films. I know that was down to the technology of the time, but it made for greater suspense. Carpenter's film remains one of the greatest sci-fi horrors ever made. I remember seeing it as a kid and it still makes me jump if I haven't seen it in a while at the blood testing and resuscitation scenes.

Indeed these days I see CG as a cop out. Things just work better with models, puppets and suits. It's just harder to do well. The only CG of late that's worked is the sort of thing WETA have been doing with Planet of the Apes (the latest one, not the Wahlberg one...) which was excellent (looking forward to the next), and of course Gollum.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Leevibe

Quote from: juansolo on May 22, 2014, 06:17:48 PM
Indeed these days I see CG as a cop out. Things just work better with models, puppets and suits. It's just harder to do well. The only CG of late that's worked is the sort of thing WETA have been doing with Planet of the Apes (the latest one, not the Wahlberg one...) which was excellent (looking forward to the next), and of course Gollum.

I totally agree. That's what I loved about Zathura. Cameras filming models! Real is real. I really hope the new Star Wars at least shoots real models for ships where it makes sense. For me that's part of the feel of the original trilogy.

I also totally agree about planet of the apes. The facial expression stuff they're working on right now is mind blowing.

One of the things that always bugs me about CG creatures is that there seems to be a fear of letting things go into fully dark shadows. Sometimes black just looks better than really dark grey. It's like the animators can't stand the thought of some of their work disappearing into darkness. Let shadows be shadows. Don't let something look lit where there isn't any light.

Clayford

Quote from: midwayfair on May 22, 2014, 03:50:40 PM
Quote from: Clayford on May 22, 2014, 01:11:38 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on May 22, 2014, 12:31:28 PM
Quote from: juansolo on May 22, 2014, 08:26:56 AM
Should we mention the Crystal Skull...?

Every once in a while I see people mention this film. I thought it ended up not getting made?

Your second paragraph was awesome, by the way.
Sadly it was actually made.
http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Kingdom-Crystal-Skull/dp/B001M6KTLG/

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.
+ >9,000
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

atreidesheir

Clone Wars is the real Star Wars.  fantastic show.  Revenge of the Sith was almost good enough.  My little boy does not understand why Anakin kills the little kids.  The movie does not explain it either.  he just does.  weak.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman