News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best way to clean a PCB?

Started by k.rock!, April 14, 2011, 09:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

So I would like to desolder a board completely and just clean off as much of the old soldering as possible to start with a "fresh" PCB...

I' can think how to go around doing this with patience (I have some flux, a desoldering pump and desoldering wick) but I was curious if any of you know the best way to do this?

A nuke approach would be awesome haha  :D

Thanks guys,

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

Take your time, and use the rosin and wick. I don't like pumps personally, I can never get them to work right.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

See that's my problem...I think I don't know how to use the wick right  :-X ... I'm good with the pump but not the wick...I can never make it suck all the solder how I want it to....should I melt a little bit of solder on the wick first and then heat over the pad?

Thanks again :)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

I should make a video for this...

Basically, I put a little bit of liquid rosin on the joint. Then I overlay the Wick on top of that joint before applying the soldering iron overtop of the wick. Essentially, you've got a sandwich going here, with the iron and solder on the outsides and the wick in the middle. The solder is drawn to the heat of the soldering iron, and has to get to the wick to get there, so it gets sucked up. I often will use my spare hand to 'draw' the wick across the joint as it picks up the solder, because it can only pickup so much, and you don't want to pick some up, then reapply it to pick up the rest after it's cooled.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

In my experience I found it easier if there was some solder on the tip and a little on the wick. Like Jacob said, completely cover the joint in flux and go for it. You will have to move the wick cause each bit will only hold so much solder. With a little practice you'll have it. The pump is easier and quicker but wick gets ALL the solder out.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

k.rock!

Great! Thank you guys, I'll give it a shot in a few. Wish me luck! hehe jk..

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

And when your all done, get an acid brush(the ones with horsehair, or a toothbrush) and some alcohol and scrub. You'll be able to get most of the leftover flux thats sticking to the board. If you care about it looking really clean!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals