News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Saving a finish?

Started by Willybomb, May 11, 2014, 05:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  I've just clearcoated a box, and the finish has gone yellow on the edges where there's been overspray between the top and sides of the box, and anywhere else there's too much paint.  Any ideas on saving it?  I'm hoping I can sand back the yellow bits and save it..

The rattlecan does say that it can yellow under some circumstances and shouldn't be used for automotive purposes.  Probably should have taken that as gospel.

Worst comes to worst I can stick a new label over the top after a bit of a sanding... and use something else to clearcoat it.

haveyouseenhim

I can say from experience that you will need to wait a very long time for that thick spot/bead to dry, cure, and harden before you try to sand it down and add one last light coat to smooth out the sanding marks.

Like 3 weeks.    I wouldn't rush it. Otherwise it will make little balls of tacky clear coat when you sand.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

selfdestroyer

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on May 11, 2014, 05:30:01 AM
I can say from experience that you will need to wait a very long time for that thick spot/bead to dry, cure, and harden before you try to sand it down and add one last light coat to smooth out the sanding marks.

Like 3 weeks.    I wouldn't rush it. Otherwise it will make little balls of tacky clear coat when you sand.

Truth

alanp

This is where the power of laziness (and not bothering with much of any finish) comes into play ;) ;)

More seriously, hope it works out :(
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

It's not even what you'd call a run unfortunately.  I've had issue with those before :(  .  No this is a bit of a high spot and it's gone yellowish in a few places which detracts from the blindingly bright white of the paper underneath.

I'm thinking a light sand, followed by a new sticker, followed by acrylic clear on top.  Although, it might pay to wait for the enamel clear to cure properly...

Willybomb

Nope the whole clearcoat went yellowish green, so I've stripped it back using turps and sandpaper.

I went to the auto paint shop and got some recommendations, so now I'm using a flat black etching primer as my base coat.  The sticker/decal will go on top of that, and I have an acrylic clear that is supposed to bring the whole lot up to a shine.  The primer has gone down well and looks good, so hopefully I'll get a coat of clear on tomorrow.