News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klon Bass Countour

Started by electricb, January 15, 2014, 02:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricb

For all you Klon experts out there - I've notice a few klone builders have been adding bass boost switches whereas others have been adding a bass contour knob. JHS is also modding the new EHX Soul Food to add this control. Does anyone know what this mod is? I assume it's a pot that blends in a larger capacitor, but where is it in the circuit? Just curious about this! Thanks.

Cortexturizer

This is something I should do for my Klon as well. I think I have saved Brian response on a similar question, just let me search for it...ah yes

"To increase bass on the dirt side, try upping the values of C6 and C7. 100n for C6 and 150n for C7.

On the clean side, increase C4 to 220n."
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jkokura

I can tell you that it's a cap thing in some builds out there. I'm not sure about all of them. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to give details, but if you play with the design you should be able to figure it out.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: jkokura on January 15, 2014, 05:13:25 PM
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to give details...

Care to elaborate?  Ya know, for science.
Jonathan

DutchMF

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 15, 2014, 08:22:17 PM
Quote from: jkokura on January 15, 2014, 05:13:25 PM
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to give details...

Care to elaborate?  Ya know, for science.

I was wondering the same thing..... If you have men in black suits and non-descript cars posting in front of your house, maybe a bit of MadBean SWAT is in order?  ;)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

Nothing quite that crazy.

I do consulting and contract work doing layouts. I've done at least one klone layout that has included a Bass Contour switch that is commercially available.

So, basically, I've seen the schems and actually the done the layout work for this, I just can't tell you about the specifics cause that's confidential.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jabulani Jonny

Good on you for being true to the NDA you signed, or not.  Either way, that's admirable.
Jonathan

DutchMF

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 15, 2014, 10:20:05 PM
Good on you for being true to the NDA you signed, or not.  Either way, that's admirable.

Agreed, it's important to be confidential with information received from a business partner. That's what we do at work too, but it still amazes me how quickly some things end up in the papers/on the street.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

madbean

Two places to experiment: the 68n cap going into the gain part of the op-amp (IC 1) and also the 82 cap that sets the frequency rolloff of the gain (also IC1). These are the two areas for mods on the Sunking 2. The latter probably makes the bigger difference. Double the value, but don't make it too high (unless you wanna do it for bass).

Here is the Sunking 2 schematic (snippet) to help you out. BTW: I haven't finalized the values shown...gotta plug them into my proto and check them out. If you wanna go really far with it, you could use a pot to blend two cap values together (like the Timmy). In this case, I just went with a switch.

verr76

Hello.
Any updates on this? How would the pot wiring go "a la" Timmy? I wanna try it out on my sunking V3  ... and maybe on a friend's EHX Soul Food  ;D

Will any of these two do ?
Hobbyist builder/seller at FPFFX.