News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pastyface version questions

Started by Bret608, April 22, 2014, 06:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

So, I am planning on picking up a Pastyface and a 3PRR in next month's sale to help use up some of my PNP stash. Just a few questions on the different versions:

1) YouTube clips of the Park Fuzz Sound sound really good to my ears. But that version calls for a 6.4uf cap. Where could one lay hands on one of those? Neither Mouser or SB seem to have any.

2) If that does limit me to the Sola Sound or Soulbender version, which of those do folks like best? Particularly, what is the rhyme and reason behind the Soulbender specs? I can tell that 220k resistor being out of the mix probably makes it louder, but beyond that am not sure.

Thanks!

Bret

jalmonsalmon

You can always use a 6u8 cap instead, should be in the same ballpark
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lelon/REA6R8M1JBK-0511P/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsh%252b1woXyUXjz8pyGOK%2fuWwJl05pEEZUuI%3d
I bet if you get 10 of those, one may measure close to 6u4 with the 20% tolerance
:)
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

midwayfair

6.8uF won't be any different from a 6.4uF in that circuit ... it's only a couple Hz and it's well below anything your guitar is producing or what you could hear.

You could adjust either R2 or R3 down slightly and make up the difference in any case. Cap values mean nothing without resistors.

The "rhyme and reason" behind the Sola Sound is basically that you can expect to run the knobs near unity. You're right that the 220K missing makes it louder; it also puts a bigger load on the collector and slightly reduces the treble content at the output as well even at full volume.

A lot of vintage fuzzes were made so that they didn't boost the signal. This is why some of them even have volume DROPS. I think a lot of people designing pedals assumed that people didn't want to overdrive/saturate their amps with their fuzzes. And honestly, they were often right to do so. Too much distortion leads to mush, no matter how good it sounds when you're playing on your own.

That said, the Soulbender will be a bit more versatile.

das234

Quote from: Bret608 on April 22, 2014, 06:05:22 PM

So, I am planning on picking up a Pastyface and a 3PRR in next month's sale to help use up some of my PNP stash. Just a few questions on the different versions:

Wait a minute.  What?  Sale?

And thanks for asking this.  I was looking at the Pasty Face doc and wondering the same thing.