News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Questions about True Bypass and buffers

Started by HailToTheBlues, April 27, 2014, 05:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi,
Don't know if this question has been asked before, but since i haven't found any topic about it, i'll do it anyway.
I wanted to know if all madbean projects are true bypass or not? If being true bypass or not, doesn't have nothing to do with the pcb itself, but rather with the type of connections, could someone please explain that to me?
And just one more thing, what would be the best place to connect a buffer? I read that it is best to use 2 buffers, one before the pedals, and the second one after the pedals, before the amp, but i don't know if that's true or not.
Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Kind Regards

midwayfair

Most projects omit the bypass portion of the pedal, so you can use any type of bypass you want. There is a Madbean standard wiring diagram on the projects page for true mechanical bypass.

There are other bypass options out there. 1776 Effects has PCBs for a buffered bypass and an optical true bypass, for instance.

The exceptions are noted in the build docs. The Fatpants and Kingslayer can be built with true bypass or buffered bypass.

As far as where to place a buffer if you need one in your chain, you want it as close to the guitar as possible to minimize the effect of cable capacitance, but not before effects that rely on guitar pickup loading, unless you like the sound of such effects with a buffer in front. You have to use your ears in your effects chain to answer that question.

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for your reply. I was asking the questing about the bypass, too see if it was worth to build save for a bypass looper instead of more pedals, but since they can be true bypass, i'll build the buffer instead. Which diy buffer you think it's any good? I was watching one from musikding, but don't know about their kits, what do you think?

HailToTheBlues

Also, which type of buffer is the best? Silicon-, germanium-, or FET-version?

Clayford

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on April 27, 2014, 07:23:25 PM
[...] Which diy buffer you think it's any good? [...]

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on April 27, 2014, 07:36:01 PM
Also, which type of buffer is the best? Silicon-, germanium-, or FET-version?

The short answer is "The one that sounds best to you".

The long answer will be as productive as which is better: Ford, Dodge, or Chevy... Gibson or Fender.. etc etc.

The Klon buffer is pretty well thought of, there's also the Cornish buffer, that's also very well thought of. Even the SHO can function(quite well I might add) as a buffer. Any of these could be built into a 1590a with In/Out and power and be never thought of again after you put them in the proper location(also a very large debate) That Musikding kit seems solid too, but a 1590B is a tiny bit much for that "effect".

Something I've learned to ask myself, WWDD (What would Dano do?) Dano also wrote some info on buffers, it can be found here on his awesome site, BeavisAudio 
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for the tip and the website, i'll check it out!

Leevibe

Quote from: midwayfair on April 27, 2014, 06:57:51 PM
As far as where to place a buffer if you need one in your chain, you want it as close to the guitar as possible to minimize the effect of cable capacitance, but not before effects that rely on guitar pickup loading, unless you like the sound of such effects with a buffer in front. You have to use your ears in your effects chain to answer that question.

Well put! Trust your ear and experiment.  Pickup loading and cable capacitance can work for or against you. Just be aware that they exist and use them to your advantage.